Fun with AWK.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I write a couple of these sort of things a week. Sometimes three, but not all are really worth sharing.

Yes, Wiz knows I'll be sharing this. I wanted to make sure I wasn't seen as a spammer. Then again, there aren't even ads on the site - yet. (I'll eventually add them.)

Very nice! Thanks!

I download the entire COVID-19 datatset (.csv files) from Johns Hopkins on GitHub every day and just started using sed in a script to extract the numbers for my state and local county. I also store all US states combined and worldwide data into separate files. It's easy and fast!

LibreOffice Calc opens and sorts most of it right now but the worldwide data is now over a million rows and too much for Calc. The large .csv files can still be used as a table for LibreOffice Base though, so I'm learning a bit about databases too.

I'm retired too, and collecting this data is just a learning hobby, but your article has me thinking about ways to better process the data. Again, much appreciated!

Glad ya liked it. I figured I'd show a real world example - where I'd literally used that exact command the night before.

There's some stuff already up at the site and much more to come. There's also room for other people to participate, if they're so inclined. I left registration and points of communication open for just that reason. It makes WordPress (what it runs on) get a ton of attacks, but I've found alternative ways to secure it.

I'm actually still working on the site, adding and removing features. It's just a side-project that takes me some time to work on weekly. I enjoy the geeking out aspect quite a bit.

It'll eventually be feature-set and I can concentrate more on writing, but it's fun tweaking and playing with the various options. WP has like 50,000+ plugins and is the back-end for a huge portion of the internet.

Thanks for sharing @KGIII!

Thanks for sharing @KGIII!

Not everything I write is worth sharing, but I'll share the ones that are. Glad ya liked it.

I need to do another one about how to ask a support question. That can wait until I've polished the article about the 'best' distro.

This is (one of) my projects for the next year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts