Gaming hardware for use in Linux Operating Systems

metlwrker

Reaction score
Credits
I'm very new at using Linux, at using code in the terminal window even newer, following code conversations even more difficult.
I purchased a corsair Scimitar Pro (gaming mouse) but found out it doesn't even work in the Linux environment, this is of course from my very limited knowledge. I also purchased a really nice gaming keyboard , blackwidow X Tournament edition chroma. These seemed like good choices now I need to learn to use them. I'm currently using Linux Mint 18.1. I'm collecting a few other distros for future trial. Atanere recommended I request assistance in this thread zone. All assistance will be greatly appreciated! Thanks:)

Hi again @metlwrker!

Relatively latest-greatest hardware (like your mouse and keyboard) often has trouble because the manufacturers frequently do not provide drivers for Linux. The easy solution is to just get a cheap generic mouse/keyboard and move on. But sometimes Linux folks create their own drivers, with varying degrees of success. Yes, this usually means getting down and dirty with the command line and compiling the drivers from source code... but this may be the only way to make your hardware work unless, or until, those drivers are ultimately included in the Linux kernel.

Check out these links and their directions for installing in Linux to see if you might be able to follow along. I don't have the same mouse and keyboard so I'm unable to test or verify how well these drivers may work. Maybe someone else on the forum will have a first hand report on that.

Mouse: https://github.com/mattanger/ckb-next

Keyboard: https://github.com/pez2001/razer_chroma_drivers

I found these with just a quick search, but Google may help you to find other solutions (or other driver sources) too.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this info, I will put it to work asap. Oh and I already did as you mentioned, I got a cheap keyboard and an old logitech thumb-ball mouse which works for now. After the expense of the other equipment, not ready to give up on it yet! Thanks so much:)

Staff online

Members online