Gaming on Linux is awesome

Nadeboy

Reaction score
Credits
It is very fast to game on linux for me, wine is a very good application for games, anyone else agree with me that wine is something good for games?

A question though,

Will Rockstar Games and Ubisoft, Steam, release good games for Linux in the future? Without the use of Wine? ;)

Ran across this video recently looking into Pop!_OS and Lutris -- was impressed.

That video was also mentioned here ;) also check out the one from LTT:

PopOS looks great for gaming, I have never tried it. Although rolling release distributions are even better for gaming since they have access to all the most recent and most updated software.

Last edited:
It is very fast to game on linux for me, wine is a very good application for games, anyone else agree with me that wine is something good for games?

A question though,

Will Rockstar Games and Ubisoft, Steam, release good games for Linux in the future? Without the use of Wine? ;)
I disagree that wine is good for gaming, I think you mean proton is good for Linux gaming and with that I do agree. Apart from working on proton Steam has already ported a lot of games to Linux and is still working on getting more ported, I don't think Ubisoft will be adding Linux support to their games any time soon and I think it will take sometime before other big game developers will be adding Linux support to their games . It's awesome that Steam is doing such good work on both porting games to run on Linux and also working on proton, I really don't care if the game runs native or through proton as long as more games become available to play on Linux. Although games that run natively run better because of not needing a compatibility layer to run.

I disagree that wine is good for gaming, I think you mean proton is good for Linux gaming and with that I do agree. Apart from working on proton Steam has already ported a lot of games to Linux and is still working on getting more ported, I don't think Ubisoft will be adding Linux support to their games any time soon and I think it will take sometime before other big game developers will be adding Linux support to their games . It's awesome that Steam is doing such good work on both porting games to run on Linux and also working on proton, I really don't care if the game runs native or through proton as long as more games become available to play on Linux. Although games that run natively run better because of not needing a compatibility layer to run.

I do use wine to run some Legacy windows games. (I still like StarCraft II and Age of Empires)
It's usually un-noticable that it's running under Linux. Of course these aren't high performance, graphics intensive games.

Playing on-line games is a mixed bag for me. I'm not a big gamer to begin with. The last multi-player games I really got into was TitanFall II. I suspect even if it did run under wine, there would be performance issues. But even in Windows, network latency is a problem.

I like games I can download, and play even when the internet isn't working. I realize this is going away, and everything is moving to "on-line only". But perhaps that's why I play less and less of these games.

I mostly play single-player games, the only online games I play are UT1999, UT2004, UT3 and Borderlands 3. With that last for some strange reason I can't get someone to join me in a game. Hopefully Gearbox will have that fixed eventually.

I still think that Unreal Tournament 2004 is one of the best games, for that period of time. For nowadays, when I have some free time - I prefer something more swift, any kind of indie game, maybe with RPG elements or something like that. Where you can simply go through couple of levels, and take some achievements. If developers implemented online rating tops - you can also compete with other players, and it would be even better. I prefer indie games cause I don't have so much time to spend it for big ones. By the way, I know that one of the best indie game developers is Game Studio iLogos which have developed, or helped to develop such game projects like Gardenscapes, Andry Birds, etc. They have pretty awesome portfolio, where I can choose some games for further playing.

Last edited:
i have gaming consoles, maybe somebody knows how to add keyboard to play station

I think linux should not be used for gaming at all.
I also think it's way too complex for your casual gamer.
imo linux should only be used on servers due to it's certain advantages in servers and I don't really see any advantage for gaming or personal use.

imo linux should only be used on servers due to it's certain advantages in servers and I don't really see any advantage for gaming or personal use.
People can game on the OS if they prefer it over windows. They can also use it as their main OS. Linux wasn't originally created to be for servers. Linus created Linux because he wanted a open source version of Unix

Some gamers prefer the flexibility and customizability of Linux and PCs in general over the ease of use that console provides due to its, often at times, limited nature on how it can be used.

GNU/Linux has become much easier for the beginner, have a look at Ubuntu and Linux Mint, they are aimed at the beginner GNU/Linux user. Also anyone using an Android phone is using a Linux because Android is a very customized version of the Linux kernel with a GUI built around it. Nvidia made it possible to use Geforce NOW on GNU/Linux. As already mentioned Valve has been very busy in the last couple of years with development of the Steam Linux client and proton, which can be used to run Windows games in a compatibility layer. As well as working porting current Steam games to run natively under Linux. If you don't want to use steam you can use lutris to run most Windows games. Only problem right now on Linux gaming is that the Anti-Cheat software doesn't play well with Linux and neither with proton so that gives problems with some multiplayer games, but they will eventually find a solution for that.

Gaming on GNU/Linux is becoming better and more popular and easier, and it will continue to do so since there are several companies(Dell, Lenovo, System76) that offer Linux support on their hardware, and more companies will eventually follow. So I would say quite the opposite if you look around at what is happening in the the Linux Gaming world. Lastly it's a personal choice what OS a person wants to run on their laptop or desktop.

Last edited:
I have done a ton of research but still confused with which version of Linux to use. Currently, I am using windows 10 and in a lot of matters, I feel windows now suck. so I decided to switch to Linux and my main purpose is gaming, and need help to choose a distributor of pop os or Linux mint. pls share your valuable comments here so it can be helpful.

@papatron G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

I will leave it to the Gamers here to make recommendations in answer to your question. I am sure you will find one (distro) that suits your needs.

It may be best to start your own Thread within this Gaming sub-forum, and provide the helpers with specs on your computer, and the type of games you enjoy.

Good luck. :p

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@UWRP

and I don't really see any advantage for gaming or personal use.

I am not sure I can fathom a reason for your posting here?

I cannot comment on the Gaming potential as I am not a Gamer (nowadays), but as for the personal use, your comments are ill-founded and display either lack of experience or impatience perhaps stemming from a bad experience.

I would suggest you experience a lot more Linux for personal use. You may have a change of heart.

Cheers

Wizard

I am new Linux user.
Raine is an good emulator. I had tried the Linux version at moment not see how run because even click in the executable the software not start.
Using WINE and Raine windows version the emulator start and run without problems and strange detail that run more fast than in windows.
Others softwares and emulators not start using WINE needing install wine mono. The problem is how figure exactly the name of component and how to install. After you see that need compile and the start the problems to figure how install compilers for in end comes an new requirement to install.
Dolphin emulator is another example. In Dolphin site only show command to add repository and which commands to download stable and development versions. The problem is that only the stable version is in PPA and allowed to download in Lubuntu. Not have the development versions to download. The stable version is from 2015.
The problem is details in system not allowing to install some softwares and the user waiting to be released in PPA distro.
Linux for games is bettter exactly than windows ? If created correctly yes, but the same easy way that is in windows not even. Please not understand bad. Nothing of saying that Linux is bad, but that have users from windows not wait to see problems when using Linux.
Not is simple to install some emulators and when is possible the emulator is out dated. Only few days back MAME 0.224 was released to download.
Another problems is how is difficulty to permanet save settings using nvidia control panel. In windows using nvidia control panel and precision x or other software are simple to use. Linux is very hard to an new user to figure how overclock or even save simple settings using nvidia control panel.
Yes Linux is better than windows, but in few details not is simple to configure and even thus have less details to configure than windows.
Unhappily an problem for some users.

I think gaming on Linux depends a lot on the games you're interested in and you're willing to do online gaming.

I'm not a gamer although I have a great interest in Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Linux
does offer Flight Gear however it ain't the same and somewhat of a PITA to use from my experience.

Play On Linux
and Wine won't run Microsoft Flight Simulators and I don't particularly care for either of them.

As for now Windows XP offline and Windows Vista offline is the best choice for 2006 Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

I like chess and when it's face to face in person.

Just can't get into the online board type games.

Members online