Garmin GPS is not compatible with linux is there a loop?

linu89waltzodi

Reaction score
Credits
I haven't updated my GPS for awhile. I went to their website they only have for mac or windows. Is there a loop?

Yes would love an answer to this - Always had to use Windows..

I believe the only way around this to run the Garmin software via Wine.

Whether it will run in Wine, is beyond my knowledge. I was going to buy a Garmin at one stage, but decided to simply use my iPhone and either google maps or Waze.

After all my looking at Garmins etc etc....I really did give google maps and ‘Waze’ a strong workout....I was determined to try and “break” them.
In the case of Waze I was successful.....it chucked in the towel.....failed to proceed.
Google maps continued to work, however I was not impressed. It was quite slow in adapting to changing situations, and did not really give
clear directions when it was really necessary.
Then.....Waze spat out a major update. Wow!....Brilliant.
It ticks all the boxes which google maps missed out on and it “talks” to me via hearing aids. I cannot fault it. It is, of course, free.

Garmin does not run in WINE unfortunately - the only way I have found is to put Windows in a VM and update the Garmin that way or use OpenMapChest

Garmin does not run in WINE unfortunately - the only way I have found is to put Windows in a VM and update the Garmin that way or use OpenMapChest
Just uploaded on my garmin from OpenMapChest seems pretty well I will test it out tomorrow. Thanks.

Is OpenMapChest likely to work with my Garmin Nuvi 55 LM? If so, what do I need to do to make it work?

I use Waze to replace my Nuvi 44, but ... my Dakota needs some work around!
Solution : Windows 7, Virtualbox and ... Google Maps.
I install Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager into Win 7 VM, Create Waypoints with coordinates from Google Maps, send them to the GPS and the trick is done.
The map is old but when navigating with Waypoints in the jungle or when walking in a foreign places, that is not much important.

Members online