Garuda Linux

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

I just came across this video from Mental Outlaw about Garuda Linux, and thinking of taking it for a spin after I upgrade my laptop:

For anyone who does have a modern machine, try it out for yourself and tell me what you think of it

I wouldn't, but it's your choice.

1. It uses the BTRFS file system over EXT4, and if you don't know the difference, you need to research that first.

2. If you wish to have Timeshift on it, you have to set it to Timeshift - BTRFS, and it does not provide the capability it has under EXT4. Example, you cannot save a snapshot to an external device or even separate partition, just to Home, which is no use to you if your drive falls over. You could however search for an alternative system snapshot taker, perhaps Snapper, but I can't help you there.

Cheers

Wizard

I wouldn't, but it's your choice.

1. It uses the BTRFS file system over EXT4, and if you don't know the difference, you need to research that first.

2. If you wish to have Timeshift on it, you have to set it to Timeshift - BTRFS, and it does not provide the capability it has under EXT4. Example, you cannot save a snapshot to an external device or even separate partition, just to Home, which is no use to you if your drive falls over. You could however search for an alternative system snapshot taker, perhaps Snapper, but I can't help you there.

Cheers

Wizard

Good to know

Not my first choice. Looks great and that's good publicity, but I prefer my Linux OS to work, not look great. KDE is... Well, it's not XFCE which automatically fails it. I choose speed over eyecandy (though I do enjoy eyecandy that doesn't choke my PC).
Seriously, as mentioned, BTRFS is not a good choice (well for just your OS, maybe, but not your data). Filesystem benching loses meaning in the world of SSDs (especially M.2 NVMe tech), so reliability is the only modern concern for an FS and I think EXT4 is plenty stable and handles self-repair well. Not as mature as XFS which I use for my 6TB storage drives, but it runs good (XFS does have the flaw of slowing down at 70% full, but EXT4 reserves a lot of space, I assume for metadata, so it's a trade-off).
This project reminds me of PC-BSD (it's called something else now). It was heavy as hell on resources and marketed as a gaming OS. It shipped with tons of things like WINE. Anyway, heavyweight distros tend to never work out in the long run because speed is one of most Linux OSes (and BSDs) selling points (though for certain BSDs it's security and/or completeness). Ideally they'd have worked with the Manjaro folk. Manjaro is great, but cosmetically sux. IMO, it's ugly. You have to tweak it (thank fck for XFCE). If they'd worked together, they coulda made Majaro look the way it functions.

Members online

Latest posts