GeForce 8400GS

B

BarManager

Okokokok, need help before I throw my rig out the freakin' window...

I'm trying to install my 8400GS on Ubuntu 11.10 and when I run the file provided by nVidia, I get the following:

NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 (290.10) said:
WARNING: You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 290.10 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system. For further details, please see the appendix SUPPORTED NVIDIA GRAPHICS CHIPS in the README available on the Linux driver download page at nVidia

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at nVidia.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at nVidia.

When I try and boot it whilst I'm plugged directly into the card, I get a wall of Courier New with a couple of "FAIL"s by some stuff I don't understand. If that's relevant, I'll get the specifics but in the mean time, HELP! :'(

N.B. I'm new to Linux, so as much detail as possible so I can get more familiar with the system. Thanks. :>

If you don't need 3d you can stay with ubuntu's default driver. In most cases you don't.

I any case, first uninstall any driver(s) you may have loaded for the GeForce 8 card before adding another.

HINT: read the log file! /var/log/nvidia-installer.log

Then, go to a terminal and type in the commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

If you need more help, I cannot add links yet, so email me if you so desire and/or do not get a clear answer here, in this forum.

I'm glad to help

I any case, first uninstall any driver(s) you may have loaded for the GeForce 8 card before adding another.

HINT: read the log file! /var/log/nvidia-installer.log

Then, go to a terminal and type in the commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

If you need more help, I cannot add links yet, so email me if you so desire and/or do not get a clear answer here, in this forum.

I'm glad to help
You sound very knowledgeable..I want to hear if you could help me out....I put in Geforce 8400 GS videocard on a Linux pc. I get @31535 on the screen. Is it the driver?

Have never run into that. It's the ZIP code for Douglas, GA -- lol!

Any one?

Staff online

Members online