General question

CptCharis

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody,
I would like to ask if a server can serve many services.
For example a server that serving a web page could also serve a pi-hole ? or a vpn ?

Hello everybody,
I would like to ask if a server can serve many services.
For example a server that serving a web page could also serve a pi-hole ? or a vpn ?
Yes you can run many services on a server, as long long as you make sure none of the service are running on the same ports. I for example run a mail, web, and database service on my VPS, that's what servers are for to be able to run multiple tasks. With a vpn service your firewall configuration will probably be a bit more complicated, and may need to check that it is not interfering with your other running services.

Last edited:
The other major consideration is resources: what kind of cumulative workload requirements do you have (cpu, memory, storage, network bandwidth, etc.). If you're going to run this server at home and it's a reasonably resourced machine, you'll probably be fine, but for instance, if one of the services you want to run is media streaming, then there might be a requirement for a lot of storage, so, in this case, if your server doesn't have a large drive in it, you may need to consider adding additional drives, or replacing the one you have with something bigger. I only offer this as an example....not saying that that's your situation.

keith

Thank you guys. I understood. Clear as crystal .