genisoimage worked with weird results

C

CrazedNerd

i'm reading that genisoimage can be used to convert a filesystem into an image, i've tested it out as such with a strange result:

creation of filesystem and switch back to home:

Code:
  201  mkdir new_fs
  202  cd new_fs
  203  touch party_animal zookeeper pokemon
  204  cd

creation of iso with genisoimage:

Code:
genisoimage -o revolutionary_image.iso -R -J ~/new_fs
  206  ls *.iso
  207  df -h
  208  dd if=revolutionary_image.iso of=/dev/sda status=progress
  209  sudo dd if=revolutionary_image.iso of=/dev/sda status=progress

and now the flashdrive is labeled "CDROM", and the files were written to the flash drive as i would expect...

can any of you explain this??

A directory isn't really a filesystem.

You would need to do this with fdisk or LVM or some way to make a real filesystem partition, not just a directory on a filesystem.
Then you make the partition the size you want the image to be. Around 700 MB for a CD, about 4.6GB for a DVD,
maybe bigger if you want to burn it to a USB stick.

In your example it looks like you are using dd (disk duplicator ). You can just use dd to do this. You don't need genisoimage.

dd if=/dev/mapper/my-custom-filesystem of=/home/user/my-custom-iso

You can then use xfburn or brasero to burn it to a DVD.
Or simply use dd again, to "burn" it to a USB stick.

dd if=/home/user/my-custom-iso of=/dev/sdb (where /dev/sdb is the path to your USB drive )

You don't need escher, or rufus, or genisoimage or any other utility at all really.

Last edited:
A directory isn't really a filesystem.

You would need to do this with fdisk or LVM or some way to make a real filesystem partition, not just a directory on a filesystem.
Then you make the partition the size you want the image to be. Around 700 MB for a CD, about 4.6GB for a DVD,
maybe bigger if you want to burn it to a USB stick.

In your example it looks like you are using dd (disk duplicator ). You can just use dd to do this. You don't need genisoimage.

dd if=/dev/mapper/my-custom-filesystem of=/home/user/my-custom-iso

You can then use xfburn or brasero to burn it to a DVD.
Or simply use dd again, to "burn" it to a USB stick.

dd if=/home/user/my-custom-iso if=/dev/sdb (where /dev/sdb is the path to your USB drive )

You don't need escher, or rufus, or genisoimage or any other utility at all really.
good to know, i was just mostly posting because i don't understand why genisiso and dd label the drive "CDROM", i do have an optical reader attached but that is /dev/sr0 not the flash drive...

Members online