Get XFCE-like Contextual Menu on Right Click or Super_L

elqanah

Reaction score
Credits
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to display a full applications menu like the one you find in XFCE ?
Or maybe a custom floating Menu Dock that will display on the current position of the cursor in the screen.

Explanation of why:
When working with huge screens, 40" or larger it's very impractical to get with the mouse all the way to the Menu applet in the corner (mintMenu.py - Advanced MATE Menu).
I know you can call it with Super_L and type to search, then call the app you are looking for in that way, which is what I am doing, but still it would be nice to have it that way.

I also looked into Plank, Docky and AWN to see if they would have a way to set it that way, but could not find it.

Running Linux Mate
Operating System: Linux Mint 19.3
Kernel: Linux 5.3.0-42-generic
Architecture: x86-64
xfceConextualMenu.jpg

@elqanah Maybe you could try albert https://github.com/albertlauncher/albert
a unified and efficient access to your machine. Technically it is a keyboard launcher written in C++/Qt. The plugin based architecture makes it extremely flexible and powerful. Plugins can be used to create modular frontends or native extensions. Extensions can also be implemented using embedded Python modules or via a CGI approach in any language you want. The frontends shipped heavily focus on customizability.
check whether or not it's available in Mint's repos
Code:
apt policy albert
it probably isn't but it's worth a try. If it's not, you can download the .deb pkg from here https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:manuelschneid3r&package=albert download the one for Ubuntu 18.04 either the 64 or 32bits to your home folder, you should know, once's downloaded open a terminal and type
Code:
sudo apt install ./albert_0.16.1_arch.deb
replace arch for the appropiate one, i.e amd.64 or i386 wait for the process to finish and launch albert by typing
Code:
albert
from the terminal. For more advanced usage read the docs https://albertlauncher.github.io/docs/using/ This is the closest thing I've found to plasma's Krunner functionality which is just a very nice piece of software.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you for your help. :)

Definitely got me in the right direction.

I will go ahead and try all these:

• Albert
  • Synapsis
  • Cerebro
  • Gnome Pie
Great options. Worth checking them out.

Thank you for your help. :)

Definitely got me in the right direction.

I will go ahead and try all these:

• Albert
  • Synapsis
  • Cerebro
  • Gnome Pie
Great options. Worth checking them out.
Glad to help. :) I used to use Cerebro and it is a great piece of software till it started failing, it might be because it hasn't been updated in 3 years, not sure but I would recommend to avoid that one for now.

thanks again.
and just in case someone else suggested ALT+F1 :eek::rolleyes:

quick solution with no additional things.. though I loved the solutions we got and staying with those
Gnome Pie looks good, the other ones are much richer than just the apps menu.

Members online