Getting back in the game

M

mek42

I'm at the train station with three hours wait due to delay, so I'm going to try to install OpenSUSE 13.1 on my laptop while I wait. Burned the install iso earlier today, planned to do install at hotel. First obstacle, OPENSUSE does not want to resize windows 7 partition due to my nonexistent file system. Off to Google I go with my DROID phone.

I'm at the train station with three hours wait due to delay, so I'm going to try to install OpenSUSE 13.1 on my laptop while I wait. Burned the install iso earlier today, planned to do install at hotel. First obstacle, OPENSUSE does not want to resize windows 7 partition due to my nonexistent file system. Off to Google I go with my DROID phone.

I use a live CD of Gparted to manage hard-disks with important operating systems.

By the way, where are you? Not very many places still use trains as transportation for people.

I'm in the US, don't like TSA. Was able to resize with windows disk management.

Next problem, already had four primary partitions. Hasit really taken this long to only start addressing this issue?

More research, moved mfr data to whatever not compact flash things I have in the puter, Sry, old Nikon shooter, not current with the newer removable media names offhand, and deleted mfr partition after checking multiple internet sources, including mfr, safe to do so. Installing now.

Just under 256 packages to go. Hoping I will be able to use windows bootloader in MBR with grub in root partition. If I can't find Linux after reboot, will return to rtfm mode.

Typing from phone, apologies for phone speak and typos.

Reinstalling, grub to MBR this time. More confident figuring out how to add windows to grub than grub to windows bootloader. Had gotten excited when I saw the installer as an option in windows bootloader. Would have been nice if 'add Linux boot line to windows bootloader' was an option.

I use GPT instead of MBR to overcome the primary/logical partitions concept. In GPT, partitions are partitions.

I don't know if my bios supports gpt. Something to research though.

I now have a Linux system! I think I might have seen a windows choice fly by in grub. At the risk of advertising my ameteurishness, I noticed that Kate is not part of the default KDE OPENSUSE 13.1 install. Will add it when I'm not using cell for data.

Will also explore Hugin panoramic software that was part of the default install. Might look for rawtherapee as well in the repo.

Still on train. Delays due to cold. Fired up laptop to charge cell.

Whole bunch of stuff is on install dvd that doesn't get installed by default. I now have Kate installed, as well as blender and virtualbox, but rawtherapee was not on the dvd.

I've even started writing an algorithm plan for what I intend to be my first parallel code, but, while I want to use python for lack of overflow, I suspect I am thinking in C, as my main data structure is a pointer that points to a ring of linked lists. We'll see how different my implementation ends up from my initial idea.

Finally got to Chicago. Train was about 12 hours late. Typing this post from aforementioned Linux install using hotel wifi which was painless to setup. I'll probably stick with OpenSUSE for future Linux needs.

PS I already made a change to the algorithm planning of that parallel project. Will keep reading and plan to go whole hog and make it OpenMP and MPI capable, possibly even OpenCL. Of course, wanting to use python may send me in a completely different direction.

Off to online repos!

Members online