Getting hardware information from Linux to help Forum Helpers

Hi Shailendra, Just wanted to see if you could help a real greenie! I went to the i-nex site and selected for download the one for Mint(sylvia). I cant find anythig that gives instruction on how to download. Can you help?

Hi Dennis. You might want to watch the dates that are shown at the bottom of each post... the quote from Shailendra Patel that you referenced is 4 years old, so a response from that user was pretty questionable.

But to answer your question about i-nex, their instructions for installing on Linux Mint are on this page.... it is 4 commands that you must enter into your terminal, one-at-a-time (in order). You should copy/paste these commands so that you do not make any mistakes. When finished, it will provide a new menu launch item in the System Tools category. It is a pretty nice application that provides a lot of information about your system.

By the way, CONTROL-ALT-T is an easy shortcut to open up a new Terminal.

Cheers

Hi Dennis. You might want to watch the dates that are shown at the bottom of each post... the quote from Shailendra Patel that you referenced is 4 years old, so a response from that user was pretty questionable.

But to answer your question about i-nex, their instructions for installing on Linux Mint are on this page.... it is 4 commands that you must enter into your terminal, one-at-a-time (in order). You should copy/paste these commands so that you do not make any mistakes. When finished, it will provide a new menu launch item in the System Tools category. It is a pretty nice application that provides a lot of information about your system.

By the way, CONTROL-ALT-T is an easy shortcut to open up a new Terminal.

Cheers
Fell like an old man learning new stuff. Oops, I am. Again thanks

Hello everyone,

I don't think this should be in the forum assistance or forum announcements..so I put it here.

When seeking help on the forum, providing hardware specifications can be the key to solving problems. With this post I hope to show some basic commands and tools to help everyone do that.

My first program is a newcomer that I saw on LAS (Linux action show, jupiterbroadcasting.com)

• I-Nex. This program is the GNU/Linux equivalent to CPU-Z from Windows. It provides an easy to use interface and can generate reports that users can upload to sites like postbin. I recommend using this tool to make hardware reports and attaching them to your posts here at linux.org home page: http://i-nex.linux.pl/ View attachment 1327The second Tool I want to mention is LSHW. LSHW (LiSt HardWare) is a commandline/graphical tool that gives just as much information as I-Nex. The difference being comandline support. View attachment 1328
  • Lastly I am going to mention good old lspci. List PCI is a program that will list all the pci devices on a computer. When using it in a general way, lspci will only name the PCI devices and the device ID. To get more detailed information on a PCI device, you can use the following:
    Code:
    lspci -v -s ID
    for AGP devices, you can use lsagp in the same fashion.
If anyone else knows of some good hardware information listing software, pleas post them. Remember, this post is to show how anyone can get basic hardware information with GNU/Linux. Please list your hardware when asking for help in the forums.

Had some problems trying to install i-nex.
Installing from Launchpad PPA

Daily PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:i-nex-development-team/daily

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3

: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/i-nex-development-team/daily/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install i-nex

I got this with the last command.

sudo apt-get install i-nex
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package i-nex

dmidecode - a bit of overload with registers and such, but useful.
lshw
lspci
lsusb

All you need is this from a root terminal.

This command will give you a root terminal.
sudo su

Then copy and paste this command into the root terminal.
inxi -zv7

The output will look like this.
Code:
linuxlite@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for linuxlite:
root@Dell-OptiPlex-380:/home/linuxlite# inxi -zv7
System:    Host: Dell-OptiPlex-380 Kernel: 4.4.0-157-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) info: xfce4-panel dm: lightdm Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 Chassis: type: 6
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 Bios: Dell v: A02 date: 08/27/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11705
           clock speeds: min/max: 1600/2933 MHz 1: 2667 MHz 2: 2400 MHz
Memory:    Array-1 capacity: 4 GB devices: 2 EC: None
           Device-1: DIMM_1 size: 2 GB speed: 1066 MHz type: DDR3 (Synchronous)
           bus width: 64 bits manufacturer: 802C0000802C part: 8JTF25664AZ-1G4M1 serial: 3A769E8B
           Device-2: DIMM_2 size: 2 GB speed: 1066 MHz type: DDR3 (Synchronous)
           bus width: 64 bits manufacturer: 802C0000802C part: 8JTF25664AZ-1G4M1 serial: 3A786D3C
           Device-3: N/A size: N/A speed: N/A type: N/A bus width: N/A manufacturer: N/A part: N/A serial: N/A
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:2e32
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 142x42 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:27d8
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-157-generic
Network:   Card: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:1692
           IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           WAN IP: <filter> IF: enp2s0 ip-v4: <filter> ip-v6: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (8.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54161 size: 120.0GB serial: SB2D14E4JA5L1E temp: 36C
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: TSST DVD+-RW TS-H653G rev: DW10 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 107G used: 5.5G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           label: N/A uuid: 518a1aa5-d619-4206-a69e-8e40db788171
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
           label: N/A uuid: 8931ce17-1201-4986-bcad-d787b8a6ecba
RAID:      System: supported: N/A
           No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
           Unused Devices: none
Unmounted: No unmounted partitions detected
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 168 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 812.8/3850.8MB
           Init: systemd v: 229 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 5.4.0 alt: 4.8
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481 running in bash) inxi: 2.2.35
root@Dell-OptiPlex-380:/home/linuxlite#

Similar to inxi -Fxz but gives more info.

This displays installed memory.
sudo dmidecode -t memory | grep -i size

linuxlite@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ sudo dmidecode -t memory | grep -i size
[sudo] password for linuxlite:
Size: 2048 MB
Size: 2048 MB

sudo dmidecode -t memory | grep -i max

linuxlite@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ sudo dmidecode -t memory | grep -i max
Maximum Capacity: 4 GB

sudo lshw -short -C memory | grep -i empty

linuxlite@Dell-OptiPlex-380:~$ sudo lshw -short -C memory | grep -i empty

No output means all slots are used.

[/spoler]

Last edited by a moderator:
So when I attempt to add the i nex development team repo on mint 19.2 i get an error message on mint that says "cannot add ppa: "This ppa does not support bionic" any ideas on why this would be?

G'day again @Mastabruce :)

What was the exact syntax of the command/s you gave in Terminal to add the PPA?

If you are not sure, use the up arrow to scroll back through commands issued.

Cheers

Wizard

@wizardfromoz Hello,
I am using the commands found on i-nex's website for Linux Mint.
The syntax I used is as follows:
(this is what leads me to the error message "does not support bionic")
I imagine the rest of the commands they list after this will not work properly without the i-nex-development repository.

@wizardfromoz Hello,
I am using the commands found on i-nex's website for Linux Mint.
The syntax I used is as follows:
(this is what leads me to the error message "does not support bionic")
I imagine the rest of the commands they list after this will not work properly without the i-nex-development repository.
You're right: if the first command fails or throws errors, there is no sense in trying to continue with the other commands. I'm not sure, but it seems that the i-nex development may be stalled or discontinued, or perhaps it has changed developers. The I-Nex website (blog) and their github project hasn't been updated for about 2.5 years.

A user named "caltlgin" on this page claimed to install i-nex on Linux Mint 19 back in December (and provides instructions), and the following post after that one links to a launchpad i-nex project that may be more current, maybe with a different developer. The launchpad site provides simple instructions to install in Ubuntu, and these should work with Linux Mint also.... if this package will install at all. You may need to update libcpuid separately if i-nex installation fails. When there are different Ubuntu versions that you want to match with Mint (like libcpuid), pick Ubuntu 18.04 as it is what Mint 19 was built from.

Installing PPA's are sometimes risky, and this may be one of those times. Personally, I think I can live without i-nex unless they provide clearer, more up to date, instructions. All of detailed information that i-nex provides can be called up, I think, with individual terminal commands instead. But you don't normally need to know that much detail about your system. @dos2unix and @poorguy both provided some good starting points above.

Cheers

It don't have any date that I find so don't know how old this link is although use at your own risk.

Link to blog is from 2017 and not in English.

SourceForge link is 3 years old.

Appears to be a dead project imo.

Thank you everyone, I think I'll just skip the i-nex installation as I have no real need for it. It seemed like a useful tool to have but if it is no longer supported then I'd rather use individual commands for gathering system information.

Timezones - don't you love them (not)? :)

I see you have met Stan (@atanere ) and Tom (@poorguy ).

@Mastabruce it's worth noting that Ryan's Thread here is close to 6 years old, so you have to check on what works currently.

Here, all roads do not lead to Rome, but to a roadblock where a package Stan has referenced, specifically libcpuid14 can not be found easily.

Better options for you might include

lshw

Code:
sudo lshw

and

inxi

Code:
inxi -Fxz

... already installed on your Mint, for command line output.

or

hardinfo

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install hardinfo

... this one resembles Windows msinfo32 device summary,

and

psensor

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install psensor

If you are planning on installing PPAs, ie "foreign" software, best make the acquaintance of Timeshift, which is in your install also, or read at my Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers

Wizard

the only thing i would add is that for slackware its not in the OS as default, so get it here:

also hwinfo : https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/hwinfo/?search=hwinfo

You run lshw as root. To get a nice readable layout (for yourself to resd) , i output to html to my user account Desktop like so:
# lshw -html > /home/andrew/Desktop/info.html
because it was run as root I then do:
# chmod 777 /home/andrew/Desktop/info.html

Last edited:
When in doubt, use inxi.

Staff online

Members online