getting my updates through tor - the cli service [SOLVED]

RadinShirzad

Reaction score
Credits
Hello!
Recently due to internet access restrictions in Iran, I have started using tor to connect to the internet.
This way, I can easily access telegram and other apps that support socks proxy;
I have very little knowledge about how this tool works thus I wanted to know if there are any security risks.
other than that, when I add the proxy in my network settings (cinnamon-settings network), it only affects browsers, for example when I try to update the system through apt it does not seem to be going through the tor network as it still can't access the blocked repos.
Thanks a lot!
My system info:
LinuxMint 21 cinnamon
tor version 0.4.6.10-1
torrc is attached as a txt file

Attachments

• torrc.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

RadinShirzad wrote:
I have very little knowledge about how this tool works
tor works by running your browser search inquiries through a large number of routers online all over the world so that your IP address gets hidden and your online activity is virtually untraceable. There's lots of info on tor you can find using your tor browser online.

To get your upgrades to go through the tor network you can go several ways like altering your /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list, or whatever it's called on your system, or use a program like torsocks or apt-transport-tor. Best is for you to use your tor browser to search and discover the alternative methods to see what suits your case by searching for something like: "how to use apt upgrade with with tor", or "how to upgrade LinuxMint through tor". Nobody is likely to detect your inquiries. Here is an older link on the issue: https://askubuntu.com/questions/381377/apt-get-update-through-tor

RadinShirzad wrote:

tor works by running your browser search inquiries through a large number of routers online all over the world so that your IP address gets hidden and your online activity is virtually untraceable. There's lots of info on tor you can find using your tor browser online.

To get your upgrades to go through the tor network you can go several ways like altering your /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list, or whatever it's called on your system, or use a program like torsocks or apt-transport-tor. Best is for you to use your tor browser to search and discover the alternative methods to see what suits your case by searching for something like: "how to use apt upgrade with with tor", or "how to upgrade LinuxMint through tor". Nobody is likely to detect your inquiries. Here is an older link on the issue: https://askubuntu.com/questions/381377/apt-get-update-through-tor
Thank you so much! that was just what I needed.

Members online