Getting Unknown file types when displaying contents of samba shares in Nemo

sahrens98

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to Mint Linux (using release 20.1 Ulyssa) and I'm trying to make a USB hard disk attached to my router accessible to my Linux via samba protocol. I wonder if anybody has a solution to this problem:

I can access the share from a Windows host as well as via Nemo interactively (see attached screenshot2.png). However, when I try to mount this share directory to a mount point and put an entry in the etc/fstab I see the contents of the share, but I get "unknown file types" when trying to access any of the directories (see screenshot1.png). For what it's worth, I have a Speedport Smart 3 router (provided by Deutsche Telekom) that only supports the old smb1 version, and - after some research I found out how to enable support for this legacy protocol in my smb.conf.

The relevant entry of my etc/fstab currently looks like this:
# Speedport router
//192.168.2.1/Share /media/NAS cifs auto,guest,vers=1.0,uid=stefan,gid=stefan 0 0

I also noticed that after mounting the share to my /media/NAS directory I can't access the contents of that directory unless I'm switching to root user (see screenshot3.png).

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong or what else I can do for diagnostics?
Thank you in advance. Any suggestions are truly welcome.

Best regards,
Stefan

Edit: I just installed Nautilus as an additional File Manager - and it shows the same behavior. I can't access the files on the mounted folder, only when I navigate through the Network structure under Windows Netowk. So, I assume it is not specific to Nemo, but has something to do with access rights, permissions, sticky bits etc. in that /media/NAS folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot1.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 249
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

After some more research on https://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.cifs and trying out various options in the /etc/fstab file I wound up with the following configuration for my share drive.

//192.168.2.1/Share /media/NAS cifs auto,guest,vers=1.0,uid=0,forceuid,gid=0,forcegid,noperm 0 0

That did it! I can now access the files in the share directory (see attached screenshot5.png)
I don't know which particular parameter did it, but after changing the fstab and rebooting it works.

Regards,
Stefan

Attachments

• screenshot5.png
    screenshot5.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 237

Members online