Gid'ay One all.

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
I originally hail from the Great Southern Land commonly called Australia these days and now sojourning in Eastern Europe in a country called Ukraine.
I like to write, to think on many things so I like reading to learn what I didn't know before, I write poetry when lines decide to present themselves.
Although I am a long time user of Windows from 3.1 to Win 7. Even in those days knew that there were other OS's out there besides Mac and Widows but most others were in their infancy when competing against Mac and Widows. I just used what was readily available. I have not really been a fan of Windows from the early days.
But I feel that those other OS's have come of age and are as simple as Mac and Widows use.
To me a a computer is just an advanced adding machine and an adding machine is just a tool to speed up your computations. Yes! You may write words and do other things on them but everything is turned into binary number and the processor just adds and subtracts till it reaches the end of the sum and converts it back to a representation that you perceive and understand either as a word or a graph or picture or sound. This is what a computer has always been to me a tool to help clarify my thinking and help me visualise what I am planning to make or something that I have been thinking about that does not exist at the moment.
I just installed Linux Mint 19.2 Tina on a machine that I created myself based on an AMD Athlon x4 860K quad core processor on an ASRock FM2A88X Pro3+ motherboard with a Ge Force GTX 750 Ti video card, an ASUS Xonar DSX sound card and full 32 GB of installed RAM. Someone else put it together for me as I did not have the necessary skills to do it myself as It had been nigh on ten years or more the last time I looked inside the box of a computer and fiddle around in there.
Originally I was using a Toshiba 2TB HDD installed with Micro( Where Pigs Fly ) soft Win 7 Ultimate but it decided to play funny buggers on me so I have added 2 HGST 2TB HDD's. When I installed the two new ones and installed Mint on one of them I found out that the person who had put this machine together for me had not enable S.M.A.R.T in the UEFI on the mother board and when I did enable it through Mint I learnt that it had about 670 bad sectors and reading the output of the self test showed that it was about to keel over and die on me just yet. But I have reasonable doubts about who was making out it was dying and on its last legs as I have not registered the Win7 and they reckon it is not a genuine copy. But as I have always suspected Windows has more back doors than a mice living in a Wheel of Swiss cheese.
As for Linux Mint, I like it a lot, and finding things is easy, haven't needed to use the search box yet except to test it and see its results. Like the terminal and at least when you input something wrong it tells you but also gives a hint to try and help you, unlike command prompt in windows just tells you you did it wrong and that is it.
I was reading with interest on the net in other forums about the sound card I have installed. First off when I first installed Mint and for about a week I had no sound but then I had sound. I think it was because I used Rhythm Box and it needed to install some software as it was a day or two later that I started to get noises out of my speakers. It just irks me that I cannot access the original controls as through R, Box even though it is at full blast it doesn't cause the speakers to overdrive. With the original control panel for it I have 42% volume on it and adjust the volume on the speakers. When the volume is set at 100% the speakers start over driving at about 75% of speaker volume control. With Rhythm Box I am not really overly struck on it. Just a long list of the music that is on there, pain in the arse if you are not quite sure what you want to listen to and I have a large eclectic collection of music to chose from and like my CD collection I will browse through the albums and it depends on my mood and how I feel and I am doing decides what music to listen to. It maybe Brahms or Strauss, the instrument may be Pipa or Dizi or drums and fife, it may be a ballad, popular, or country and Western song or just plain Aussie country music.
The office suite not much different to the one I use on Widows -- Open Office
I like Pix and starting to get the hang of it.
One thing I find is that everything is easier to find than in Widows and nothing that you need to know or find is not hidden.
I think given time I will really get the hang of Linux Mint
One last Like is the Cinnamon Desk top everything is where I like it to be.
The only nit picking I really have with it is that The Time can only be set for your locale and you do not have a choice for other clocks to be added.

Never too old to turn ; never too late to learn. – Proverb.
I know a lot of things but that pales to insignificance to the vast realm of my ignorance - Nik-Ken-Bah
Sorry for the long read but that is the short version so imagine what the long version would be like.
Cheers Nik-Ken-Bah

I had logged out and then saw this and logged back in to comment. What a wonderful intro :)

If you feel like it, start a Thread, perhaps in General Linux, on the multiple clocks issue.

I have not looked into it yet, but I expect there is an answer perhaps to do with a command called curl, or what we call a conky, or other package, that may meet your needs.

Friends and colleagues @JasKinasis and @arochester may well have some thoughts to contribute in the Thread.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I originally hail from the Great Southern Land commonly called Australia these days and now sojourning in Eastern Europe in a country called Ukraine.
I like to write, to think on many things so I like reading to learn what I didn't know before, I write poetry when lines decide to present themselves.
Although I am a long time user of Windows from 3.1 to Win 7. Even in those days knew that there were other OS's out there besides Mac and Widows but most others were in their infancy when competing against Mac and Widows. I just used what was readily available. I have not really been a fan of Windows from the early days.
But I feel that those other OS's have come of age and are as simple as Mac and Widows use.
To me a a computer is just an advanced adding machine and an adding machine is just a tool to speed up your computations. Yes! You may write words and do other things on them but everything is turned into binary number and the processor just adds and subtracts till it reaches the end of the sum and converts it back to a representation that you perceive and understand either as a word or a graph or picture or sound. This is what a computer has always been to me a tool to help clarify my thinking and help me visualise what I am planning to make or something that I have been thinking about that does not exist at the moment.
I just installed Linux Mint 19.2 Tina on a machine that I created myself based on an AMD Athlon x4 860K quad core processor on an ASRock FM2A88X Pro3+ motherboard with a Ge Force GTX 750 Ti video card, an ASUS Xonar DSX sound card and full 32 GB of installed RAM. Someone else put it together for me as I did not have the necessary skills to do it myself as It had been nigh on ten years or more the last time I looked inside the box of a computer and fiddle around in there.
Originally I was using a Toshiba 2TB HDD installed with Micro( Where Pigs Fly ) soft Win 7 Ultimate but it decided to play funny buggers on me so I have added 2 HGST 2TB HDD's. When I installed the two new ones and installed Mint on one of them I found out that the person who had put this machine together for me had not enable S.M.A.R.T in the UEFI on the mother board and when I did enable it through Mint I learnt that it had about 670 bad sectors and reading the output of the self test showed that it was about to keel over and die on me just yet. But I have reasonable doubts about who was making out it was dying and on its last legs as I have not registered the Win7 and they reckon it is not a genuine copy. But as I have always suspected Windows has more back doors than a mice living in a Wheel of Swiss cheese.
As for Linux Mint, I like it a lot, and finding things is easy, haven't needed to use the search box yet except to test it and see its results. Like the terminal and at least when you input something wrong it tells you but also gives a hint to try and help you, unlike command prompt in windows just tells you you did it wrong and that is it.
I was reading with interest on the net in other forums about the sound card I have installed. First off when I first installed Mint and for about a week I had no sound but then I had sound. I think it was because I used Rhythm Box and it needed to install some software as it was a day or two later that I started to get noises out of my speakers. It just irks me that I cannot access the original controls as through R, Box even though it is at full blast it doesn't cause the speakers to overdrive. With the original control panel for it I have 42% volume on it and adjust the volume on the speakers. When the volume is set at 100% the speakers start over driving at about 75% of speaker volume control. With Rhythm Box I am not really overly struck on it. Just a long list of the music that is on there, pain in the arse if you are not quite sure what you want to listen to and I have a large eclectic collection of music to chose from and like my CD collection I will browse through the albums and it depends on my mood and how I feel and I am doing decides what music to listen to. It maybe Brahms or Strauss, the instrument may be Pipa or Dizi or drums and fife, it may be a ballad, popular, or country and Western song or just plain Aussie country music.
The office suite not much different to the one I use on Widows -- Open Office
I like Pix and starting to get the hang of it.
One thing I find is that everything is easier to find than in Widows and nothing that you need to know or find is not hidden.
I think given time I will really get the hang of Linux Mint
One last Like is the Cinnamon Desk top everything is where I like it to be.
The only nit picking I really have with it is that The Time can only be set for your locale and you do not have a choice for other clocks to be added.

Never too old to turn ; never too late to learn. – Proverb.
I know a lot of things but that pales to insignificance to the vast realm of my ignorance - Nik-Ken-Bah
Sorry for the long read but that is the short version so imagine what the long version would be like.
Cheers Nik-Ken-Bah
What an intro!! :3 Welcome to the Forums, good sir! :3 Yeah, my first time using FOSS was actually NetBSD (this old Sega Dreamcast I used to have actually ran it, much to my surprise years and years later :)). :D But I first saw FOSS when I was in Middle School (in the U.S., that's about 6-8th Grade). :) It was the GNU Free Software Foundation's own Website. :3 I found it noble how people would give away Software for free, but my first, proper introduction to the world of Linux was watching a video around 2010 of a guy running this neat OS that was FAST, truly, AND it had freakin' Desktop effects! :O I was amazed, and immediately looked into this "Ubuntu" thing. I came across WUBI, and was hesitant at first (of course, I was used to Windows, understandably), and I never really installed Ubuntu until I got brave and clicked on wubi.exe... :3 That installed Ubuntu under Windows (not sure how they managed that, as this was before Windows Subsystem for Linux [WSL]). :) But eventually, I fully committed, and actually still use Windows to this day, for certain reasons. People in the BSD community like to say that Linux is "bloated", and "not sane", but I see nothing of the sort... I actually use Linux, Windows, and FreeBSD! :) Nice to meet you! :D

Hello there blackneos940, nice to meet you also.
Yes! There are people that like doing something then to share it with others who have need or a desire to use what they produce.
With the installation alongside windows they use the free space on the disk that widows doesn't use noticed that when I first install Mint along side widows it basically divided the 2TB disk 1 TB for widows and 1 TB for Mint. But now Mint has its own HDD.
I am looking forward to when I can fire up the computer an work purely on the cinnamon desktop and connect to the net without having to bother about using widows to do so.
I gave my son a set of Red Hat disks to load up into his computer but whether he did or not I don't know.
I am only keeping widows till ReactOS goes beyond the Beta stage. From what I have seen of it it is very reminiscent of late 80's to late 90's windows as it is a free OS that is built from the ground up from scratch to work with any windows programs so window users can transition smoothly from windows to ReactOs there by making Widows redundant. It will also more than likely run them faster than on the OS they were designed to run on, going on past performance that I have heard of just have to wait and see.
Have a good week
Nik-Ken-Bah

If anyone is wondering about my avatar it is a Lady who was born in the same Chinese Year of the Water Dragon as I was. Her name that her parents Mr and Mrs Deng gave her was Li Jun but better known in the west as Teresa Teng. But sadly she died in '95 after suffering an asthma attack in Thailand. I just refer to her as my Water Dragon Sister, just as my second wife is.

Hello Nik-Ken-Bah,

Welcome to Linux.org it's a great place to hang out and learn / help and just all around BS.

Hello there blackneos940, nice to meet you also.
Yes! There are people that like doing something then to share it with others who have need or a desire to use what they produce.
With the installation alongside windows they use the free space on the disk that widows doesn't use noticed that when I first install Mint along side widows it basically divided the 2TB disk 1 TB for widows and 1 TB for Mint. But now Mint has its own HDD.
I am looking forward to when I can fire up the computer an work purely on the cinnamon desktop and connect to the net without having to bother about using widows to do so.
I gave my son a set of Red Hat disks to load up into his computer but whether he did or not I don't know.
I am only keeping widows till ReactOS goes beyond the Beta stage. From what I have seen of it it is very reminiscent of late 80's to late 90's windows as it is a free OS that is built from the ground up from scratch to work with any windows programs so window users can transition smoothly from windows to ReactOs there by making Widows redundant. It will also more than likely run them faster than on the OS they were designed to run on, going on past performance that I have heard of just have to wait and see.
Have a good week
Nik-Ken-Bah
Yeah, I heard about ReactOS. :) Since it's Open Source, it makes sense that it would be more rapidly improved. :) And I'm also not surprised that Windows Executables run faster too. :) I use Mono to run Compiled C# Programs when on Linux, and Windows of course has .NET Framework. :) I wonder if ReactOS has Mono..... Well, FreeBSD and OpenBSD do, so I'm wouldn't be so surprised. :D But porting Software... THAT is something I have yet to learn all about. ;) But you gave your son RedHat Linux CDs?? :O How lucky he is! ;) Yes, we have RedHat to thank for helping to push Linux onto the Desktop. :D And Fedora is a part of that now. :3 Now I wanna try out ReactOS and see if it can run cmd.exe from Windows. :D

Hello Nik-Ken-Bah,

Welcome to Linux.org it's a great place to hang out and learn / help and just all around BS.
That's what's great about this place. :3 No elitism. Just kind people who want to help each other and others out. :3

If anyone is wondering about my avatar it is a Lady who was born in the same Chinese Year of the Water Dragon as I was. Her name that her parents Mr and Mrs Deng gave her was Li Jun but better known in the west as Teresa Teng. But sadly she died in '95 after suffering an asthma attack in Thailand. I just refer to her as my Water Dragon Sister, just as my second wife is.
Speaking of Chinese culture... Is General Tso's Chicken a thing in China, or is it a healthy dish that came to America, which we then made greasy and unhealthy?? XD That's what America does to all foreign food it seems... :3

@blackneos940
That I would not have a clue the only recipe that I am aware of is Kung Pao and it is not deep fried. From what I have seen with Chinese cooking when they deep fry anything it is far from being greasy

@blackneos940
That I would not have a clue the only recipe that I am aware of is Kung Pao and it is not deep fried. From what I have seen with Chinese cooking when they deep fry anything it is far from being greasy
Yup, it's America then... :D It's funny how healthy food is in it's own land, like for instance, Italians here are considered a disgrace to Italians from Italy, because of how American-ized Italian food became when they immigrated to America. :3

Well I know what distros I will be using in the future.
Linux Mint and MX on one HDD and Manjaro and Debian on another HDD.
Will set it up so that the default boot is Mint should I do nothing and MX from grub. And will use the UEFI to boot into Manjaro and Debian and use the Grub to select the OS to use.
Been looking for ones that suit me and there are different things on each of them that help in looking after the systems Manjaro is an arch based distro while the others are Debian based.
There are others that I need to have a squizz at though and some I may well set-up on USB sticks as their platform should I like them.
Nothing is settled in concrete as of yet, time will tell all.

Members online