GNOME

D

DevynCJohnson

GNOME is a very popular desktop environment for Linux systems. This environment has many components. Therefore, this desktop environment is considered "heavy". GNOME is perfect for many mainstream users, but not for old hardware or systems with few resources. People that use GNOME may benefit from understanding some of its components.

NOTE: GNOME supports the X11 and Wayland display servers. Also, GNOME has been ported to BSD.

AbiWord - Word-processor that works on Linux, MeeGo (Nokia N9), QNX, MS-Windows, ReactOS, Solaris, AmigaOS 4.0 (via Cygnix-X11), and others.

Brasero - This is the optical-disc burning software.

D-Bus - This is a system that provides a way for programs to communicate with each other. In other words, this is an Inter-Process Communication (IPC) system. This also allows the desktop environment to communicate with the Linux kernel and daemons.

dconf - dconf is a configuration system that manages the settings of a variety of programs and daemons. dconf replaced GConf.

Evince - A file viewer for PDF, PostScript, DjVu, TIFF, XPS and DVI files

Evolution (Novell Evolution)
- This is suite provides a way for users to manage emails, an address book, notes, calendar, and tasks.

gedit - Plain-text editor

GNOME Boxes - Access remote hosts or virtual operating systems

gnome-disk-utility - This is a graphical drive/partition manager similar to GParted

GNOME Display Manager (GDM) - This is a set of software that makes the "login screen". The components include Chooser (for selecting remote hosts), Greeter (the graphical screen), PAM (for user authentication), and XDMCP (a special form of X11 introduced in X11R4).

GNOME Maps - An open-source GNOME alternative to Google-Maps.

GNOME Shell - This is the interface (the part that is seen). This interface provides a bars, menu/dashboard, workspaces, etc.

GNOME Software
- This is a graphical frontend to PackageKit, apt-get, and other similar package utilities. This is equivalent to the "Ubuntu Software Center" on Ubuntu or Google's "Play Store" for Android.

GNOME Web (formerly Epiphany) - The GNOME web-browser

Gnumeric - Spreadsheet program

Polaris - The IRC program used in GNOME

PulseAudio - GNOME uses PulseAudio as the sound server. This means that this daemon processes the sounds rendered by the system. PulseAudio then sends the sound to the proper destination (whether that be a device, program, or driver).

Rhythmbox - Music library and player

The GNOME desktop environment also comes with various utilizes like a calculator, calendar, dictionary, etc.

NOTE: When installing GNOME, some of these programs can be uninstalled in favor of a preferred alternative.

Further Reading

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 24,090

In my experience, GNOME is lighter than Unity and of course KDE, so it's not so heavy I think.
Have you tried Mir? If yes, what's your take on this?

In my experience, GNOME is lighter than Unity and of course KDE, so it's not so heavy I think.
Earlier versions of Unity used much of Gnome 2's code however the Ubuntu teams have re-written Unity to use Qt in later releases. KDE uses a lot of the QT framewrork.

GNOME 3 is a pretty heavy desktop UI but if you have the hardware to run it, many of the features are unparalleled.

I have not tried Mir, but from what I have read, it is interesting and I am curious to try it later after it has been tested more.

Yes, I agree. GNOME2 is lighter than Unity, and both are lighter than KDE. However, Unity vs GNOME3 is close. However, Unity may be a little bulkier, but I have not performed specific measurements.

I have not tried Mir, but from what I have read, it is interesting and I am curious to try it later after it has been tested more.
I tried Ubuntu 15.04 recently and it was very slow and without some Unity 8 features. But from what I saw it's now completely different. It's more like GNOME Shell without actual traditional desktop metaphor that still exists in Classic Mode. It's more for touchscreen devices. If ye remember, Unity was criticised for it when it first appeared. If nothing will be changed I think much less people will like it. Hopefully, they tend to change very controversial things right before the release.

I tried Ubuntu 15.04 recently and it was very slow and without some Unity 8 features. But from what I saw it's now completely different. It's more like GNOME Shell without actual traditional desktop metaphor that still exists in Classic Mode. It's more for touchscreen devices. If ye remember, Unity was criticised for it when it first appeared. If nothing will be changed I think much less people will like it. Hopefully, they tend to change very controversial things right before the release.

Thanks for the info. As for the slowness, most alpha and beta versions of Ubuntu are slow due to all of the debugging features enabled.

I hope you can help me with this....how does one find a program in Gnome? I was using Almanah Diary on a computer that developed issues. I took the hard drive out, put it in an external docking station, this computer I'm using now recognized it so I'm wanting to transfer my Almanah Diary from the docked hard drive to this computer's hard drive. But I have no idea how to find Almanah Diary.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts