galiban

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everyvone.

My system specs;
- Ryzen 3 5300U | Vega 6.
- 4 GB Ram
- 250 GB M2 SSD

I'm looking for current GNU/Linux distributions with I3 WM that use very low Ram.

Waiting for your suggestions.

Good day and good night.

i3 can be installed on most distributions, 4gb is enough to run all distributions for normal daily use, but you will get a little extra speed with a medium weight distribution, Debian [with driver pack] Arch, Gentoo, Slackware to name but a few

I ain't scared... I'll suggest Lubuntu. While Lubuntu is no longer aimed at low end computers, it's still fine on hardware like what you have. (I'm on the dev team.)

This may also interest you:

I'll recommend MX , but almost any distro will run on your specs. You should be fine as I always recommend that you try several live distros and choose the one that meets your needs, works well with your hardware and is pleasing to you. All the best on your search.

I agree most any Linux distro with a light weight desktop environment should work fine.

I have old junk desktops with only 4.0 GB of memory and Intel integrated graphics and a dual core processor and I can run most any Linux distro without problems.

Xfce or LXQT desktop environment should work fine.

Lubuntu 22.04.1 or MX-Linux are good choices along with many other light weight Linux distos.

Definitely would do as was recommended and create bootable usb media and test drive a few then you will know.

Keep in mind though that testing Linux as a live version and not installed will be a bit slower but will give you a good idea if it will work for you.

There are a number light Distros that will run on 4GB of RAM...Linux Lite...Lubuntu...Xubuntu...Peppermint.
happy0035.gif

I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 on my Laptop that has 4GB of RAM and runs well...but what people seem to forget is when you start using Browsers...Software...VMs etc you'll find 4GB of RAM isn't enough these days.
sad0018.gif

I'm using 2GB of RAM now running Brave Browser with two tabs open on my Tower that has 16GB of RAM. There are limitations to what you can do with a small amount of RAM.
m1502.gif

@phanmetal - take a look at this site, updated to October 23

https://www.slant.co/topics/22641/~distros-for-i3wm

If you have used Arch-based Distros before I would probably go with either of Manjaro or EndeavourOS, and the Developer of Endeavour, Joe Kamprad, is one of our Members.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@phanmetal - take a look at this site, updated to October 23

https://www.slant.co/topics/22641/~distros-for-i3wm

If you have used Arch-based Distros before I would probably go with either of Manjaro or EndeavourOS, and the Developer of Endeavour, Joe Kamprad, is one of our Members.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you. I want user Arch Based Distros. I found PHYOS. This distro, arch based.
If you know this distribution, what are your thoughts? is it safe?

what are your thoughts? is it safe?

Haven't heard of it before you mentioned it. Out of my 78 or so Distros I run, I run about 10 or so Arch-based. (fan)

I can't really comment - they have not made it into DistroWatch.com yet, and appear to only have the Telegram and Discord links to rely on, I cannot guess how their support is.

Your call, I am afraid.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Wiz

Haven't heard of it before you mentioned it. Out of my 78 or so Distros I run, I run about 10 or so Arch-based. (fan)

I can't really comment - they have not made it into DistroWatch.com yet, and appear to only have the Telegram and Discord links to rely on, I cannot guess how their support is.

Your call, I am afraid.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Wiz
I have used before. It consumes 450MB of Ram and i3 WM.

That is certainly an attractive RAM consumption, I have to sign out for my evening DownUnder shortly.

Good luck if you use it and let us know how you go.

Wiz

Hi All, don’t take any notice of this old fool who loves LXDE with Arch, Ubuntu or Debian based distros – currently Antix-22 Full LXDE even though LXDE is deliberately not supported there – crazy or what :rolleyes: There again I always choose my own path. :cool:Recently someone posted on YT and elsewhere a video of their 4G laptop doing whatever – it could be seen to be struggling even with WM. I asked why their set-up was so bad and got the old chestnut reply – that they had 20 Ffox tabs open in a hidden desktop I replied with a screenshot showing 20 Ffox tabs open on DistroWatch’s Home page using just 679MiB of RAM. See below..

I do not use VMs at all so know nothing about that side – but it just goes to show where completely ignoring perceived wisdom or status quo can reward those who dare to experiment. I can have 4 Ffox tabs open with 3 of them playing web page videos at same time – OMG :eek: Then to nail it I record a screencast video of my setup playing the three web page vids – one in HD o_O

Guess some are thinking the old fool has lost his marbles…? As ever I back up what I say so as to give strong evidence and reduce risk of arguments – Enjoy ;)

Choose any of the Crappy videos – I know – but irrefutable evidence none the less of my setup on the old HP with just 3GiB with old T5800 chip :oops: Hey RAM to spare :cool:
FFox-20Tabs-02.jpg

Good one Ziggi :) good going. I've always liked lxde too bad the merged with with LXQT Just not the same.
is LXDE still being developed or is it pretty much abandoned?

Yes; this question is often asked or mostly by some detractors who will tell you that it is dead or has moved to QT – whatever. Take no notice :eek:

I have a few takes on this…

Visit the Homepage of LXDE and the blog page - “Features will be later, that is certain. Anyone are welcome to contribute, as always.

https://www.lxde.org/

OR… LXDE’s ease of use is a winner too. Head on over to distrowatch for an independent assessment under LXLE. (old version)

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20140707#feature

Quote:- I like the LXDE desktop as I feel it does an excellent job of balancing user friendliness, performance and features.

Then perhaps ask LXLE if they are worried? https://lxle.net/

LXLE Focal Released - After many weeks of tweaks, adjustments and issues addressed the final version of LXLE Focal is being released for public criticism. This version is based on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS with LXDE. This release concentrated on keeping the distribution light yet providing full featured apps and utilities necessary to deal with today's computing demands.

OR… My Favourite – If it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it..!:rolleyes:

Then some try to cloud the issue with jiggling LXDE’s standard classic components and substituting something else – okay if you know what you are doing, but I ask you; why bother. :confused: IMHO just use it as is – with Openbox and PCManFM.

If you are into gizmos, gaudy pinks and purples go elsewhere; yet there are many themes as standard plus loads more to download.

Once you get used to it you can fly the fastest distro in town :)

There again I admire the simple elegance and ease of use of ZorinOS gnome default setup if you have the RAM to spare and are willing to sacrifice some speed.

I am an efficiency-speed junkie :cool: Please Guys – don’t take any notice of this old fool’s rambling – just have fun experimenting – never accept status quo ;)