Google chrome help

gwb21471

Reaction score
Credits
I am running unbuntu Linux. Every time I open up google chrome after I startup the computer. It keeps asking me for the password before it will startup chrome. Is there a way to set it up where it won’t ask for a password before google chrome starts up?

Where did you download Chrome from ?

You could always use Brave

Switch in 60 seconds​

Quickly import bookmarks, extensions, even saved passwords. It’s the best of your old browser, only safer. And it only takes a minute to switch.
Built in Ad Blocker (and it works)

Last edited:

"" Switching to unencrypted credential storage as this workaround does may not be the best idea (it might bork access to Gmail and other services that check). It's good to be aware of the impacts of security changes ;)

The linked thread above has a few other suggestions, in particular setting the keyring password to be your login password, will allow automatic unlocking, in a similar manner to unlocking an encrypted /home folder.... YMMV.""

In other words your passwords will no longer be held in a secure vault....any one with access to your pc will have unlimited access

Where did you download Chrome from ?

You could always use Brave

Switch in 60 seconds​

Quickly import bookmarks, extensions, even saved passwords. It’s the best of your old browser, only safer. And it only takes a minute to switch.
Built in Ad Blocker (and it works)
i download from google.

I agree the above links may not be the best solution.

The best way would have been to have created user account password from the git go.

A user account password would have solved the problem with the Google Chrome key ring password issue.

Uncertain if that can be done without reinstalling Ubuntu.

ok....further reading tells me that this is a common problem with Chrome

All of the "solutions" i have read basically do away with the encrypted password facility.

Simple answer, install Brave.

I use brave and have zero complaints. Worth a try....if you dont like it you can easily uninstall it.

setting the keyring password to be your login password,
This could be a feasible solution.....like @Bartman I am not familiar with the procedure (yet)

When I was using Chromium I never had to worry about "Keys" as I never stored any on my computers.

I've never used any kind of password keeper software and never will store or save any passwords on any computer.

My passwords are written on several different cards and are stored in several different places if and when I ever need them.

I'm not implying that password keeper software isn't useful as I know many users who swear by it.

I'm not even sure how you can set Google up to use the keyring? That sounds like something OP made a deliberate effort to do. Maybe purge and reinstall? (I like Chrome and Chromium. They're great browsers.)

This may be of interest regarding Brave:

Yes, a good read

Comparison with other browsers[edit]​

A February 2020 research report published by the School of Computer Science and Statistics at Trinity College Dublin tested six browsers and deemed Brave to be the most private of them, in terms of phoning home: "In the first (most private) group lies Brave, in the second Chrome, Firefox and Safari, and in the third (least private) group lie Edge and Yandex."[108]

Is there a way to set it up where it won’t ask for a password before google chrome starts up?
What you see is the gnome-keyring working. To get rid of that, just click on continue, you'll be warned about leaving the password blank, just click continue again. That's it; you won't be asked for a password ever again when launching/starting chrome.
ok....further reading tells me that this is a common problem with Chrome
Indeed. But it's not exactly a "chrome" problem, some other apps do require that, too. For example, some apps will need you to install gnome-keyring in order to work properly(electron-mail, publii, and a few others), and you get the infamous-annoying "password dialog", which you can just leave blank.

I am running unbuntu Linux. Every time I open up google chrome after I startup the computer. It keeps asking me for the password before it will startup chrome. Is there a way to set it up where it won’t ask for a password before google chrome starts up?

Please refer to the links below for details:
Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install seahorse

Last edited:
My wife uses this laptop for her college and she needs to use chrome for it. they need chrome or microsoft edge. thanks for the help.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts