Google Photos / Amazon Photo's Alernatives?

DadOfRCA

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I'm trying so hard to move away from big tech, and I'm stuck on my cloud photo solution. Ideally, I'm looking for something web/cloud based, and has an Android app. Unfortunately, I can't find anything that has similar features like facial recognition.

Any suggestions would be supper helpful.

Ideally, I'm looking for something web/cloud based, and has an Android app.
If you want to give up Google, give up Android. If you can't do that, everything else is just a matter of degree... what you will accept, and what you will not. Use the apps that serve your needs, and configure them as best you can, especially the "permissions" settings for each app.

If you want to give up Google, give up Android. If you can't do that, everything else is just a matter of degree... what you will accept, and what you will not. Use the apps that serve your needs, and configure them as best you can, especially the "permissions" settings for each app.

While I understand and appreciate the comment, that's not what I was asking. I've already looked into the Linux phones, that will be our next step of someday, but Rome wasn't built in a day. These companies really got us addicted to their technology, and it's so hard to migrate off of them while keeping certain features.

Get cPanel hosting with Softaculous. Install Coppermine. Grab the Android app. Own your data.

That is one possibility.

You might try using Nextcloud, there are instances you can sign up for free that give you free storage. or you can self-host.
Nextcloud has note apps, image apps, etc.

Ideally, I'm looking for something web/cloud based, and has an Android app.

My favorite cloud storage providers are:
Yandex Disk: I only use the Desktop version so far, but their app rating at Google Play is high.
Mega.io: They have both Desktop and Android app. Again, I only use the Desktop version.
Nextcloud: You can sign up for any provider at https://nextcloud.com/signup/ .

I've already looked into the Linux phones, that will be our next step of someday, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
You can try to get rid of Google products one by one:

I second Mega. If you want autosync on Android the best way is using the MegeSync app.
On Linux you can use the browser extension, it is available for Chrome/Chromium, Vivaldi, and Firefox.
You can also use:
megatools/unstable 1.10.3-1 arm64
Command-line client for the Mega cloud storage service

rclone/unstable 1.53.3-1+b3 arm64
rsync for commercial cloud storage

@stan, that link above......( ) is an absolute goldmine of Info. Probably the only topic they dont cover is password managers ;)

I like the look of Mojeek as a search engine...Swiss Cows also looks good.

Last edited:
@stan, that link above is an absolute goldmine of Info
All credit goes to @MatsuShimizu for that one! I just copied it. But I agree, Brian... it's an excellent resource to discover many alternatives to Google. Hopefully it can help the OP, @DadOfRCA, in his quest for photo management tools (and note-taking too, in another thread).

Last edited:
Probably the only topic they dont cover is password managers.
They don't cover the password manager topic in that post. But, they cover it somewhere else, on the same website.

If you check out the link at the sidebar of that blog, you will find lots more goldmine from that website. For example: Secure browsers, Secure email.

restore-privacy.png

Members online