Gparted questions

No problem Charlie. I suspected that you had an extra drive up your sleeve, and so the commands I gave you were to tease out that information. :)

But a picture is also worth a 1,000 words and you are getting good with the screenshots, and they are eminently handy for us (and for you to refer to).

As things stand, we can probably shave 50 - 100 GiB off a number of your existing installs, and that redeemed space will give you heaps for a Timeshift partition, data storage, and other purposes.

I'll also show you how to Label your Partitions, and that will help you to identify the Distros easily both in GParted, AND in your File Manager.

For now, I have to scoot to cook tea, so

C U Ron (see you lateR ON)

Wizard

Thanks @wizardfromoz
I've been poking around and discovered a few things from 'pushing buttons'.
I was able to figure out how to label the distros - ala a few screenshots:

SDB-2.png

SDA-2.png

In turn this generated a few more questions:
I wonder why LM Tessa is installed in both boot files, should the boot files be in their own section - separate from any OS's?, and, I am not able to get at the two 'Key' files in SDB2 and SDB9.
I look forward to our further discussions. They are extremely valuable to me. :):):)
I did look through the link that atanere mentioned of you and Jeffrey Lapinski in #13.
I'll do my best to not 'hog' your time.
Old Geezer
TC

Hi Charlie, I'll throw in a brief comment (yeah, right) while waiting on the Wizard. For another button to push, check out the View Menu, and tick the box for Device Information. Among other things, this will show what Partition Table you used on each of your drives, sda and sdb. They may be different in your case, but I'm not sure.

Your /dev/sda drive looks to me like it may be a "gpt" (GUID Partition Table). You have exactly four ext4 partitions and they all look like a primary partition. I don't think that the unallocated spaces count as partitions until you format them, but it looks like you could do that.

Your /dev/sdb drive for sure looks like it is a "msdos" partition table because of that "extended partition" (sdb2). Notice how the cyan color representing that partition draws a cyan colored box around all of the other partitions (except sdb1). Partitions created inside an Extended Partition are called "Logical Partitions." The reason for this is that msdos partition tables are limited to only 4 primary partitions (you aren't using all 4 though). With one of the 4 primary partitions being Extended, this old trick allowed more partitions to be created and used, leaving room for Linux to dual-boot with Windows, plus swap.

In Gparted, the Device Menu > Create Partition Table is where you would begin with a brand new drive to set up the partition table of your choice, before formatting it. Do not change them now though! It will wipe out everything on the drive! You may decide that you do want to do that later with further guidance from Chris. The gpt partition table is the better method for multi-multi booting, but you can do it with msdos partitions too, as you have found.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks @atanere
I checked both SDA and SDB and it looks like they have the same Partition Table-msdos.
Take a look if you like:

SdA.png

SdB.png

I do see the blue outline around all except sdb 1.
I don't know what most of it means - Yet - but perhaps as I go along.......
I do appreciate what all you guys and gals are doing here!
Old Geezer
TC

At last, I believe that I am becoming 'educated' in Linux!

Ah, okay then. In that case, your sda drive is now maxed out. The limit of 4 primary partitions is not a Linux or Windows issue... it is a hardware limitation of msdos hard drives. The gpt structure eliminates that limitation. An "extended" partition does not really hold any data of it's own (I don't think).... it just serves as a "container" for the Logical Partitions that can be added inside it, and they can hold data and/or operating systems.

Your sda2 partition is only about 5GB, but it is nearly full. For you to save the 3 operating systems on it, and to expand your drive further, I will guess at this point that you'll need to save the data on sda2 (if it's important) and then delete it so you can create a new Extended Partition on this drive.

I'm just talking in general terms though. This is Wizard's specialty, not mine. As I currently see it, it's quite likely that the large space at the end of the sda drive (180 GiB) will make the best Extended Partition for you so that there will be room to create more Logical Partitions inside it.

It's a rather fun exercise to set up multi-multi booting, but I've only gone a little ways myself (about 4 distros on one drive). For the most part, I'm too lazy! :D But I have a spindle of nearly 100 DVD's that I can pop in to test out a different Linux, if needed. This is usually good enough for my testing needs.

Cheers

Nice work from my Indiana friend at #22 and #24 :)

Phew - where to start?

Good work on getting the labelling done, that will help considerably ;)

The "experimental laptop" is not your go to/daily rig, so we can play with it, yes?

:)We can show you how to "reset" the Solid State Drive, /dev/sda, to allow more Linux, via Extended and Virtual Partitions, but it seems to me that that is reinventing the wheel.

Your rig has UEFI capability, and it is currently running in Legacy Mode.

See the screenshot you gave us from the command

Code:
inxi -SMDP

where it says

UEFI (Legacy)

So there will be a switch in your Insyde Setup Utility (BIOS) to flip from Legacy (BIOS) to UEFI.

Find, but do not touch that switch for now, or I will throttle you, in the nicest possible way.

What I am looking to do is to setup new Partition Tables of GPT over MSDOS for both drives, and likewise convert from BIOS to UEFI.

With UEFI-GPT you
  • escape the 4 partition limit
  • can use files of larger than 4 GB
  • can work with drives of greater than 2 TB
Your rig can also support up to 16 GB of RAM if you want to invest in that too.

But let's see that we can get this working first.

Either of your drives can be used as the boot drive. Since you spend more time on /dev/sdb9 with Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' than not, we could use that as a base if you like and work with GParted on doing the voodoo from there.

Think about it and ask any questions.

BTW - using Bluestar - Bluestar is Arch-based, and so sooner or later, you may face an occasion of it having a Kernel Panic and not booting, if not already. This can be overcome as I explained to Jeffrey Lapinski, by creating a small file called custom.cfg, which can actually be used to chainload multiple Arch-based Distros through submenus off Grub, but that is not for now.

Have a think about it all, and ask questions.

Cheers

Wizard

Greetings from the north country @wizardfromoz ,
Glad to hear that the labels help.
This lappie is only going to be used to test things on. Correct. Play til your heart's content my friend!

I went into the BIOS but could not see anywhere that I could switch to UEFI from Legacy.
Information - Main - Security - Boot - Exit That's good, cause if I can't find it, I can't switch it!

"What I am looking to do is to setup new Partition Tables of GPT over MSDOS for both drives, and likewise convert from BIOS to UEFI."
From what I got from atanere, that sounds like a good idea.

I use 'Tina' because it is the one I am most familiar with, so let's use that as the base.

On the SDB screenshot on #23 I have questions about:
SDB 2, 6 and 9 have a key in front of them. What does that mean?
Under Mount Point, SDB 6 says /media/cc/P. What does that mean?
Under Mount Point SDB 9 it shows / I assume this is 'root', yes?

I copied the gparted manual and have been studying it as we go.
I guess that's all for now.
Thanks again.
Old Geezer
TC
As an aside, I just ordered a 3 Tb external Hard Drive from TigerDirect. I plan on using it to save my Timeshift pics.

Excellent on the external, Charlie, you are planning well :)

My answers highlighted between yours

SDB 2, 6 and 9 have a key in front of them. What does that mean?

Depending on the Distro running GParted, it may be an icon of a key, or a padlock, or an old telephone handset and base station with punch buttons, or other.

It means the Partition is mounted and in use, and it cannot be manipulated with GParted unless unmounted first. That can be done with some entries, but not with Root partition while you are in Session - safety feature. To determine if it can be unmounted, right click the line and see if Unmount is not greyed out.

If you boot into another Distro that has GParted (most do, but some have to be installed) you can access your /dev/sdb9 LM Tina, unmount it if need be, and finish your labelling.

Under Mount Point, SDB 6 says /media/cc/P. What does that mean?

If you drag the right handle of the GParted window to expand it, and drag the headers between Mount Point and Label, that will expand to read

/media/cc/Peppermint

Mine would read

/media/chris/Peppermint

/media/username is where a lot of our devices are accessed from, externally.

(For The Viewers, cc is for Charlie Corder)

Under Mount Point SDB 9 it shows / I assume this is 'root', yes?

Long answer ... Yep

Wiz

Danke my friend @wizardfromoz
That's German for "Thanks".
I will digest what you wrote in the morning. My brain must be on vacation as it won't function too well anymore today.
Good night Mrs. Calabash and all the ships at sea!
Old Geezer
TC

PS - Comedian Jimmy Durante used the Calabash thing and Radio newsman during WW-2, Walter Winchell - signed off with 'All the ships at sea'.

"My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe."

Jimmy Durante ... Inka Dinka Doo

Sleep well

@wizardfromoz You said
If you boot into another Distro that has GParted (most do, but some have to be installed) you can access your /dev/sdb9 LM Tina, unmount it if need be, and finish your labelling.

This is an aside
The first ISO of LM Tina I downloaded did not have GParted on it but I also down loaded another ISO of LM Tina and it has GParted on it and both ISO's came from the Mint download page. Funny that!

For myself I understood the key to mean that the partition was locked so thanks for clarifying the reason why it is locked and how to unlock it if it is permissible.

Onward and upward!!! @wizardfromoz
Here are the latest screenshots with everything labeled.

SDA-12-10-19.png

And now for the SDB shot.
SDB-12-10-19.png

And now I see that the "/media/cc/P" on sdb 6 is gone. Don't know why.

More questions:
Why do I have such large sizes for each distro in sdb?
111.70 for LM Tessa
102.70 for Xubuntu
165.52 for Peppermint
ETC.
That's a lot of GiB !!!!!!!
Ready for Phase 2, or whatever phase we're in.
Old Geezer
TC

Thanks for reminding me of 'Inka, dinka doo'. Brings back pleasant memories of an calmer lifestyle.

FLASH!!! @wizardfromoz
I ben busy fer just a spell - say bout 3 hours worth. Phew!
Anyhow, here's what my SDB looks like now, since I re-sized all the distros partitions.

SDB-updated-12-10-19.png

I have another question.
1 - Would it be safe to re-size the sdb 1 partition, like maybe down to about 20 GiB?
And .... another Q
In sda, may I move sda 1 to the left of that left side unallocated partition, without destroying anything?
I do look forward to your appraisal of my present situation. :cool::cool::cool:
Old Geezer
TC
One more thing - How do I put stuff at the bottom of the page like NikKenBah did with this?

To accept good advice is but to increase one's own ability.—J. W. von Goethe. (1749 – 1832)

Age does not make us childish, as some say; it finds us true children. – J. W. von Goethe. (1749 – 1832)

How do I put stuff at the bottom of the pag
That is quite simple TC go up to your login Name and in the drop down box click on signatures and it will take you to a page where you can put in what you desire in your signature and click save and that is it.

Thanks @Nik-Ken-Bah
I should have asked you to start with!!!!!!
I figured it was something simple. Those are the ones I usually miss.
Old Geezer
TC

One more Q for @wizardfromoz or anyone who knows,
What does esp stand for in the partition tables?
I googled and found these two defs.
1 - Encapsulating Security Payload.
2 - Enhanced Services Platform.
Thanks.
Old Geezer
TC

One more Q for @wizardfromoz or anyone who knows,
What does esp stand for in the partition tables?
I googled and found these two defs.
1 - Encapsulating Security Payload.
2 - Enhanced Services Platform.
Thanks.
Old Geezer
TC
My Extrasensory Perception (ESP) tells me you are thinking about EFI System Partition (ESP). :D

Cheers

@atanere Stan,
You are the man! That makes entirely good sense.
Thanks very much.
Old Geezer
TC

Calling all cars - er, ah - @wizardfromoz

I been a little busy studying that 'book' between you and Jeff Lipinski and have done a few of the things you told him to do.
1 - make sure all distros have gparted installed. Done.
2 - run this in the terminal - apt-cache policy e2fsprogs for each distro. Done {as much as I could}
Here are the results for each distro from the top down:

Lubuntu
Lubuntu-eprogs-12-11-19.png

LM Tessa
LM Tessa-12-11-19.png

Feren
Feren-12-11-19.png

BlueStar {This is the Arch one that I would just as soon delete}
Bluestar-12-1-19.png

Xubuntu
Xubuntu-12-11-19.png

Elementary
{Could not get a screen shot of this one}

Peppermint
Peppermint-12-11-19.png

Linux LIte
{Could not get a screen shot of this one}

Doge Linux {Had to show the whole thing}
Doge-12-11-19.png

LM Tina
LM Tina-12-11-19.png

This is where I am at right now. I hope that this is helpful for you in helping me.
I will not be installing or deleting anything until I hear from you.
In the mean time, I will go through more of your instructions to JL and see what I can glean from it.
Old Geezer
TC

Greetins @wizardfromoz
I ben pokin around and got the other two screenies I missed yesterday.
Elementary
Elementary-12-11-19.png

And
Linux Lite
LinuxLite.png

Back to studying for me.
Old Geezer
TC

Never Fear, Smith is here (Lost in Space).

I'm around, Charlie. Back soon.

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts