GParted wont let me format my usb to FAT32

davidd

Reaction score
Credits
Summary

I deleted my linux mint OS from my other lap top by accident and now I am trying to make a bootable USB for the lint mint iso. However when I open Gparted and try to format the USB to fat32 it wont even give me the option of clicking on FAT32. Im a newbie at linux and stuff so could someone please help me.

Gparted on Linux Mint 21 does show fat32

How are you accessing GParted?....on another Linux computer?

... and did you have any Timeshift snapshots? You can answer my friend @Condobloke first.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Listen I am a dimwit at Linux, I barely managed to format the usb to fat32. That was the first step, then I used Uneetbootin to flash the drive, I think? I used unetbootin for what it was for. Now I load my usb stick into my other laptop and the UEFI boot priority is set to USB. OK. That means the other lap top is recognizing the usb. BUT IT STILL Won't BOOT. Was I supposed to transfer the Linux mint ISO file to the USB after unetbootin did its thing. The problem is I can't figure out how to mount the USB to a mount point, so I can access the USB from a GUI and copy the files

[Removed by moderator] I NEED A GUI WHY AM I USING LINUX IM GOING TO LOSE MY MARBLES!!!

So to make this more clear this is what I did.

1.) Formatted the 28 GB USB to fat32 file system successfully.
2. Ran the Unetbootin program apparently successfully, or was I supposed to copy the Linux Mint ISO File to the USB after I Flashed the drive?
3.) I can't seem to mount the USB properly it say I have to mount it to a mount point I thought I did but I still can't access it from the GUI, I'm very inept at the terminal. I'm using google to figure everything out.

I'm using Debian Linux installation on a dinosaur lap top with a half-busted monitor. The laptop is dying, but it's my last hope at restoring my primary lap top computer.

Anyway this is driving me crazy, so I'm going to sleep on it and wait for your responses.

Sorry, I've just been a Windows user all my life, and it's really hard for me without a graphical user interface that automatically recognizes devices and is user-friendly.

Good nite

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen I am a dimwit at Linux I barely managed to format the usb to fat32. That was the first step then I used Uneetbootin to flash the drive I think? I used unetbootin for what it was for. Now I load my usb stick into my other lap top and the UEFI boot priority is set to USB. OK. That means the other lap top is recognizing the usb. BUT IT STILL WONT BOOT. Was I supposed to transfer the linux mint ISO file to the USB after unetbootin did its thing. The problem is I cant figure out how to mount the USB to a mount point so I can accesss the USB from a GUI and copy the files

I NEED A GUI WHY AM I USING LINUX IM GOING TO LOSE MY MARBLES!!!

So to make this more clear this is what I did.

1.) Formatted the 28 GB USB to fat32 file system sucesssfuly.
2. Ran the Unetbootin program apparently sucessfuly or was I supposed to copy the Linux Mint ISO File to the USB after I Flashed the drive?
3.) I cant seem to mount the USB properly it say I have to mount it to a mount point I thought I did but I still cant access it from the GUI im very inadept at the terminal. im using google to figure everything out.

im using debian linux installation on a dinsoaur lap top with a half busted monitor. The lap top is dying but its my last hope at restoring my primary lap top computer.

Anyways this is driving me crazy so im going to sleep on it and wait for your responses.

Sorry ive just been a windows user all my life and its really hard for me without a graphical user interface that automatically recognizes devices and is user friendly.

good nite
Dude, no need to beat up on yourself, we all make mistakes and we each make different mistakes.

GIven the information you gave, i can't tell you why you're having trouble with this...it's possible that you need to use some program like Disks or the windows partitioning programming tool to create a partition first before other programs will properly recognize it..that's something i had to do before.

my friend who knows everything about Linux is such a bad person, he won't even help me with this.

1.) Formatted the 28 GB USB to fat32 file system sucesssfuly.
2. Ran the Unetbootin program apparently sucessfuly or was I supposed to copy the Linux Mint ISO File to the USB after I Flashed the drive?
3.) I cant seem to mount the USB properly it say I have to mount it to a mount point I thought I did but I still cant access it from the GUI im very inadept at the terminal. im using google to figure everything out.
1.)formatted to fat 32...good

2. Unetbootin 'screen should look similar to this...
1670470343604.png

Where it says "Write Image'...you need to click in the (none) box.....and navigate to wherever you have the downloaded ISO stored. (it is a good idea to save that file to your desktop...it makes it very easy to find) Select the iso file and then click 'open' down the bottom right hand side.

Then......on the right hand side up the top you get to select where to you are going to write the iso file......be VERY careful that you select the usb stick

Once you are satisfied that you have selected the correct image....and the correct usb stick to write it to......click on Write.

It will proceed to make the usb, bootable

When that has finished....dont unplug the usb stick...leave it plugged in, and change the boot order on your laptop. The method of getting to the boot options varies...tell us how you have been trying to do this.....the idea is to have the laptop boot to the usb stck....not to its hard drive

**** I NEED A GUI WHY AM I USING LINUX IM GOING TO LOSE MY MARBLES!!!
Sorry ive just been a windows user all my life and its really hard for me without a graphical user interface that automatically recognizes devices and is user friendly.
2. Ran the Unetbootin program apparently sucessfuly
GNU/Linux is a whole different OS and is not comparable to Windows, so there will be a learning curve. Yes you have done it correctly, by flashing the iso to your usb flash drive. The problem is Unetbootin it's been broken for a while I have read more posts around the web about people having issues with Unetbootin. Try using Rufus to flash the iso to your usb drive from Windows, then when booting from your usb flash drive it should be able to boot from it. Or if you are using GNU/Linux there should be an iso writer installed and the name will differ per Desktop Environment installed, ie: GNOME Disk Utility.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums,
Firstly, if you cannot format to Fat32 then use XFat ,
Secondly, did you check the SHA sum
Thirdly Kindly moderate your frustration we are a 13+ site [although we do have younger viewers]
There are many reasons your installation may have failed [use my basic installation guide to check your steps link below in my signature]

Last edited:
im using debian linux installation on a dinsoaur lap top
What do you consider a dinosaur laptop ? If it's pre-2008 then it may be a 32 bit machine, in which case you won't be able to load 64 bit distributions, you will need one of the few 32 bit distributions that are still available. If it's post 2010 then it should be a 64 bit machine, but being ex-windows dose it have enough ram to run a modern distribution [you need at least 2gb ram preferably 4 or more], if you are unsure then give us the full make and model number off the manufacturer's plate, usually on the bottom of the laptop or under the battery [if it has a clip out battery] the full model number will enable me to check [if I have the right workshop sheets] for your particular variant
If you are using Debian then make sure you download the version that includes the non-free driver pack
If you are using a Debian derivative distribution, make sure it's a novice friendly one.
AND
HHguide.jpg

Last edited:
Hello @davidd,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forum. Don't give up and get frustrated. It's well worth the effort to get it going on Linux as others have said there are many reasons for problems getting started. First as @Brickwizard has said is it a 32 bit machine if so then Mint is not going to work. My suggestion in that case would be to download and burn MX-21 32bit ISO found here.
the 32bit version only comes in XFCE desktop. But it will work for you. Also ditch the unetbootin it's been buggy for a long time and burn the ISO using Etcher which is a cross platform burning tool and will run on Windows as well as linux.
found here.

We are here to help, Tell your so called friend that won't help you to chill out. Soon you'll know more that he does :)

Firstly, if you cannot format to Fat32 then use XFat ,
@Brickwizard is right. With gparted it's two steps.

Click on "Device", then go to "Create Partition Table". Select msdos from the pull down menu.
For both fat32 and exfat, you have to use an msdos partition table.

Then click on "Partition", then select "exfat" (or fat32 if that's what you want).
Under the word "Partition" there will be a green checkmark. Click on this to format your disk.

If you want to reformat again to another filesystem type, you have to repeat all the steps above.

Good morning

I am uing a Acer Aspire 5000 to format the USB and Flash the drive and then use that USB to install an Linux Mint or other OS on my Asus lap top. Im going to try to follow your guys steps and do it over again.

Good morning

I am uing a Acer Aspire 5000 to format the USB and Flash the drive and then use that USB to install an Linux Mint or other OS on my Asus lap top. Im going to try to follow your guys steps and do it over again.
what is the model of the Asus lappy?

Right, there are around 20 variants of the Vivo book, I have a feeling you probably have one with the AMD Ryzen 3 CPU, if so they came with 4Gb of ram, and win 10 installed, before you start, make sure windows quick start is disabled in the UEFI, the machine is quite capable of running any distribution of linux 64 bit. so I can only assume your problem came from one of the following
Corrupt download
bad burn to the pendrive
defective pendrive
bad partitioning

I am on the Acer Aspire 5000 trying to Mount the USB in the terminal lsblk recognizes the USB stick. Here is the output.

renande@laptop:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 74.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 2G 0 part [SWAP]
└─sda2 8:2 0 72.5G 0 part
├─space-root 254:0 0 12G 0 lvm /
└─space-home 254:1 0 56G 0 lvm /home
sdb 8:16 1 28.9G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 1 28.9G 0 part
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
renande@laptop:~$

The USB device is recognized so the issue is setting a mountpoint for the USB. The following output is my attempt to set a mountpoint for the USB.

renande@laptop:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb /home/renande/usb
[sudo] password for renande:
mount: /home/renande/usb: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Using the following line of code I SEEM to have set a mountpoint for my USB Stick. I found it on google and again seems to have worked.

renande@laptop:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /home/renande/usb
renande@laptop:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 74.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 2G 0 part [SWAP]
└─sda2 8:2 0 72.5G 0 part
├─space-root 254:0 0 12G 0 lvm /
└─space-home 254:1 0 56G 0 lvm /home
sdb 8:16 1 28.9G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 1 28.9G 0 part /home/renande/usb

So NOW...

Now I have to use Unetbootin to flash the drive again with the ISO.

So nothing seems to be working.

I mounted the USB
I used Unetbootin since Etcher wouldnt run.
The Usb is formatted to FAT32

The boot priority is set to UEFI: USB DISK 2.O PMAP Partition 1. on my Asus vivobook. Nothing is booting up...

and it wont load. nothing is working.

So nothing seems to be working.

I mounted the USB
I used Unetbootin since Etcher wouldnt run.
The Usb is formatted to FAT32

The boot priority is set to UEFI: USB DISK 2.O PMAP Partition 1. on my Asus vivobook. Nothing is booting up...

and it wont load. nothing is working.
The problem is Unetbootin it's been broken for a while I have read more posts around the web about people having issues with Unetbootin. Try using Rufus to flash the iso to your usb drive from Windows, then when booting from your usb flash drive it should be able to boot from it. Or if you are using GNU/Linux there should be an iso writer installed and the name will differ per Desktop Environment installed, ie: GNOME Disk Utility.
Did you even read my reply about Unetbootin being broken? Last time I tried Unetbootin I ended with an unbootable usb dirive as well. Use something other then Unetbootin, are you flashing your usb flash drive from Windows or Linux and if from Linux what distribution?

Last edited:
Try following my guide, and use a different USB pendrive, yours may not be good enough/faulty

Staff online

Members online