gpio driver & sysfs question

hisu

Credits
I am a newbie on Linux and sorry for asking this question(I can't grasp big picture by now)

I want to control GPIO on my target board(am335x), and I'v got a running kernel on my board(which was done by a board vendor).

I heard that general use case of using GPIO is by using Sysfs entry which is sys/class/gpio~

I am used to using /dev entry and read and write onto them so I can control device. (so this is my point of view)

But when I check using 'lsmod' there are no related GPIO module(driver) but there are sys/class/gpio entry.

so, my question is, If there is no GPIO module(driver) in Kernel, how can sysfs gpio entry be made???

Attachments

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
G'day @hisu and welcome to linux.org :)

I have no idea what you are talking about, which means General Linux is not the place for this subject.

Have a look through the Forums (example Linux Hardware, Single Board Computers, Server) and come back and tell me where is most appropriate and I will move you there.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
I have no idea what you are talking about, which means General Linux is not the place for this subject.

Have a look through the Forums (example Linux Hardware, Single Board Computers, Server) and come back and tell me where is most appropriate and I will move you there.
Sounds more a question in the direction of kernel programming, since we don't have a section on kernel programming I would put it in "General Computing" or SBC(which you already mentioned) but it's very unlikely that someone here knows the answer to that question.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Thanks @f33dm3bits :)

I'll leave it to the OP to take the trouble to look around the Forum, and then make a move.

Your input is always appreciated. :)

Wiz

hisu

Credits
G'day @hisu and welcome to linux.org :)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
sorry!! I was such an in hurry and I have little knowledge so I didn't know that this was not a general issue. I feel SBC would be ok. thanks a lot.

Members online