Graphics Help On New Manjaro Install

Aussie5947

Reaction score
Credits
I have just gone over to Linux from Windows and installed the latest version of Manjaro with KDE. The graphics driver that installed is: video-linux. I have a 24" 16:9 monitor and Manjaro is showing my screen resolution as 1024x768 when I believe it should be 1920x1080. There is no provision in my settings to change to a higher resolution. My graphics is listed as Intel Corp. Xenon E3-1200 v3 /4th gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller. See attached file. How can I change the graphics on my pc to a better screen resolution, please?

Attachments

• Graphics Details.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 228

G'day Aussie5947, Welcome to Linux.org

No help from me, but when you have a few minutes, pop over to Member Introductions and tell us the Aussie5947 story.

There is a good helping of fellow Aussies here.

You are in good hands with brickwizard, up above.

Condobloke

G'day @Aussie5947 ... Geez Louise Brian (@Condobloke ), you beat me to it.

Aussie I've just approved your last Post, for the first few Posts you make, if you include an internet URL (in this case replying to Brian) it comes across my desk (spam precaution).

Take a look at what "other" Brian @brickwizard has posted, and I may be able to help tomorrow morning, I am on Qld time.

I run 70 Linux on this rig, but I am running a program now and can't swing over to Manjaro KDE to check things, then I have to cut for tea and watch Masterchef Australia Grand Final, lol.

You also have Timeshift installed, and it would be good to read up on that as I would suggest you use it first if you have personal data that needs safeguarding before you monkey with the graphics.

I say to beginners

... but my Thread listed there needs updating on Manjaro a bit.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Xrandr, and its graphical equivalent, arandr, work fine, and are also useful when re-orientating dual or multiple monitor screens.

However, it is likely the easiest answer lies at the OP's fingertips and he simply hasn't found it yet. I'll explain.

@Aussie5947 on your KDE desktop, bottom left corner where the stylised M for Manjaro is, is your Application Launcher, basically the same as a Windozer Start button.

Click Start - Settings - System Settings

Then scroll down left side to Hardware - Display and Monitor and click

There you can adjust resolution settings, Click where it has a dropdown menu at Resolution in the right pane. It will look like this

When you have chosen the resolution you want click Apply at bottom right. It will change before your eyes, if you like it, stick with it, if not change. After a reboot, the new selection should remain in place.

Wizard

Attachments

• display-monitor-settings.png
    display-monitor-settings.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 193
Thanks for that Wizard. Already checked that out and the ONLY resolutions shown there are : 1024x768, 848x480, 800x600 and 640x480. In another part of hardware settings I noticed that my installed graphics driver isvideo-linux. Two other options to install are video-modesetting and video-vesa. I suspect this is where the problem lies as the resolution I want is 1920x1080. Thanks for your help and Cheers.
Aussie5947

Not to be deterred. See how you go with the research, but if you can provide the following output, when you are free, from Terminal (Konsole in KDE)

Code:
inxi -Fxz

The "z" filters out personal data such as serial numbers, and MAC addresses, but if you want to keep a copy of all of that for yourself as a reference, then use

Code:
inxi -Fxs

Use the z option with forums.

BTW have any external drives, or your largest USB stick, plugged in when you issue the command.

Cheers

Wiz

Ooops, I issued the command in Konsole before I noticed the part about inserting largest usb stick in before issuing command. Anyway, the output from that command is attached.
Aussie5947

Attachments

• inxi-Fxz output.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 230
these are the max resolutions for your graphics chip depending on connection type

Max Resolution (HDMI)‡
1920x1080@60Hz

Max Resolution (DP)‡
2560x1600@60Hz

Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡
2560x1600@60gh

Max Resolution (VGA)‡
1920x1200@60Hz

Bwiz

That's OK and Ta. :)

Looks like you are just running the Manjaro on that rig, nothing else, so by default you will not have a Grub Menu at bootup. We can show you how to get one if you wish, it can be useful for being to use some advanced options for troubleshooting, and also allow you to run a command at startup to show the resolutions Linux detects and see how they compare with what was in KDE settings. That seems to be an unusually small choice of resolutions available to you, but I am sure we can work something out.

I'll also Google the specs on your rig and see how that driver goes with LInux.

Cheers

Brian you and I crossed beams, that's dangerous :)

That's OK and Ta. :)

Looks like you are just running the Manjaro on that rig, nothing else, so by default you will not have a Grub Menu at bootup. We can show you how to get one if you wish, it can be useful for being to use some advanced options for troubleshooting, and also allow you to run a command at startup to show the resolutions Linux detects and see how they compare with what was in KDE settings. That seems to be an unusually small choice of resolutions available to you, but I am sure we can work something out.

I'll also Google the specs on your rig and see how that driver goes with LInux.

Cheers
OK and thanks for all your help thus far. Attached is a screenshot of how : bloated" the display is. Looks worse in the flesh. Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123_180408.png
    Screenshot_20211123_180408.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 195
these are the max resolutions for your graphics chip depending on connection type

Max Resolution (HDMI)‡
1920x1080@60Hz

Max Resolution (DP)‡
2560x1600@60Hz

Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡
2560x1600@60gh

Max Resolution (VGA)‡
1920x1200@60Hz

Bwiz
1920x1080 is the resolution I'm after. Just need to get there. Cheers

Members online

Latest posts