Greetings -- returning to Linux

L

Lufo

Played with Linux in the early days and found it was not quite ready for prime time. :) Then it was Mandrake, SUSE, Redhat, and Corel.
Before that I think, I played a lot with the old BEOS until its unceremonious death at the hands of the CEO. BEOS was beyond cool at that
time. Prior to that I tinkered a bit with Minix...wish I still had the original hardback for that. Spent about 10 or so years programming in C until
I figured I was just not smart enough to continue with it.

Now, my Window 7 PRO 64 (home built years ago) is long in the tooth and I hate to give MS any money for Win 10 or 11 spyware. Thus, I am
here to learn. I will be asking about compatibility for the Dell Optiplex 7000 series Micro Form Factor and Small Form Factor PC units.

You should have no problem with the small form factor stuff - especially if it's Intel and has onboard graphics. Those sorts of things tend to "just work". (And it is awesome.) Depending on your use and habits, you may find it hard getting enough RAM in them - but that's fine unless you want a couple hundred browser tabs open across a few different browser. (Don't laugh, I know where everything is!)

You may be interested in the following:

With your level of experience, albeit not in a while, you'll be up to speed in no time. We've got some pretty smart regulars who can help you get most anything sorted out.

G'day @Lufo and welcome from DownUnder to linux.org :)

The three of us are contemporaries - David, above, and I are 1957ers, and our most significant growth area is in those aged 55 to 85, so you should feel right at home.

I'll take a look at specs for your computers, for when you are ready to ask a support question.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello @Lufo Welcome to Linux.org Good to have you with us. Enjoy!

Welcome back to the good side!

I figured I was just not smart enough to continue with it.

your more clever than me then; i was too stupid to know it was too much for me and just carried on; using the Amoeba approach quite often.

Ooh missed this one,
Welcome to the forums Young'en, sit back kick off your shoes, grab a beer and enjoy the ride.

:) Hello again and thanks to everyone. Dealing with Dell support (India) just to get a few questions has driven me to the point of wanting to build my own SFF. Therefore I will be asking you fellows for advice on motherboards, cpu (Intel), etc. Thanks for the welcome!

I will be asking about compatibility for the Dell Optiplex 7000 series Micro Form Factor and Small Form Factor PC units
There have been a few problems lately with the latest dell laptops, but anything over 4 yrs old should not cause any major problems,

Therefore I will be asking you fellows for advice on motherboards, cpu (Intel), etc
I do not have any preference on motherboards, but I do prefer AMD processors and graphics [but this is a personal thing]

Sorry Paul @VP9KS but this Member resigned over a disputed thread.

Chris

Members online