Greetings!

MusicMechanicz

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, everyone! I'm from northern Michigan, USA, and I'm 21 years old. I am still new to Linux although I have installed and messed with it a few times on some older desktops which I erased Windows from. The distributions I have tried so far are Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Xubuntu but am experimenting with other distributions with virtualization on my current desktop, which is running Windows 10.

I don't like being negative about Windows as XP was my first OS back around 2005 so I have memories with it. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of how Windows is turning out. Of course, I try to give the benefit of the doubt, not every OS is going to be perfect, but, for me, having updates "forced" at me, as well as having updates that mess with my desktop it's just getting difficult for me to accept Windows the way it's going.

I wish I could fully install Linux, but, not all the software I use is fully compatible with Linux. Granted, I can use Wine, but, I don't have too much experience with that yet, so I'll leave Windows 10 on but use VMs for the distros. I'm no expert when it comes to Linux, Windows, or computer stuff in general, but, plan on getting my degree in software engineering in the future. For now, I'm more on the casual side learning my way up on using Linux.

As of so far, Linux Mint is one of my "main" favourite distros, although, there are others for me to to try and get my hands dirty with. It will be an interesting and learning experience, not to say it hasn't been already. :)

Have a great day or night!
~MM

G'day ~MM, and Welcome to linux.org

Well written !

I also have memories of windows....most of them are distant.....and fading fast.

Stay a while !!

G'day Mitch, from another Aussie, and welcome to linux.org :)

(Mitch for Michigan Man, and yes, I can pronounce Michigan - I abbreviate or make a nickname for anything or anyone that stands still long enough :D)

Mate just a little brainstorming on your situation:

Make friends with alternativeto.net

For example Google up

alternative to MS Office

... and you'll find references from there.

You can do this with any of your programs that you feel are indispensable.

At alternativeto.net, look for the ones that say Linux, and also ones which are cross-platform, you may be able to test them under Windozer 10.

Browsers, email clients and productivity suites like Firefox, Thunderbird and Apache's Open Office Suite fall into this category, likewise GIMP for Adobe Photoshop.

Of course some programs are indispensable and simply not available other than under Windows.

So one thought is to (perhaps later) install a LInux of your choice as the main OS, and run Windozer 10 in the virtual machine, eg VirtualBox or VMWare.

That way, you can still access those programs.

Just thoughts, and if you want to cover them further, start a Thread at Getting Started, or General Linux, and we'll be interested to here how you fare (with the LInux on VMs), and answer any questions we can.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day ~MM, and Welcome to linux.org

Well written !

I also have memories of windows....most of them are distant.....and fading fast.

Stay a while !!

Thank you and yes, some of them do feel distant for me as well, although, I cannot say they will truly disappear from my memory, not yet at least.

G'day Mitch, from another Aussie, and welcome to linux.org :)

(Mitch for Michigan Man, and yes, I can pronounce Michigan - I abbreviate or make a nickname for anything or anyone that stands still long enough :D)

Mate just a little brainstorming on your situation:

Make friends with alternativeto.net

For example Google up

alternative to MS Office

... and you'll find references from there.

You can do this with any of your programs that you feel are indispensable.

At alternativeto.net, look for the ones that say Linux, and also ones which are cross-platform, you may be able to test them under Windozer 10.

Browsers, email clients and productivity suites like Firefox, Thunderbird and Apache's Open Office Suite fall into this category, likewise GIMP for Adobe Photoshop.

Of course some programs are indispensable and simply not available other than under Windows.

So one thought is to (perhaps later) install a LInux of your choice as the main OS, and run Windozer 10 in the virtual machine, eg VirtualBox or VMWare.

That way, you can still access those programs.

Just thoughts, and if you want to cover them further, start a Thread at Getting Started, or General Linux, and we'll be interested to here how you fare (with the LInux on VMs), and answer any questions we can.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you!

I have used alternativeto.net and it has introduced me to some interesting programmes. I currently use Firefox, OpenOffice, and GIMP as those have been helpful for me. Sadly, some online colleges still want people to use Chrome, and MS Office. I don't have anything against MS Office, but, having the ability to work on office documents without worrying about subscriptions is very useful to me. Although I don't have much experience with GIMP, it's been fun experimenting with that as well.

In terms of installing Linux as the main OS, that's something I may do later on, depending how much of the software I use becomes compatible with Linux. Not making any bets, but, we'll see how it goes.

--
Thanks for the welcomings!

Have a great day!

~MM

Members online