Grsync Issue

willyum

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to do a backup prior to upgrading to Fedora 38. I have used Grsync before with no issue, but now all I get is an errors list. I am attempting to backup to an external drive named Bigstick. The first error in the list reads:
Code:
rsync: [generator] failed to set times on "/run/media/bill/bigstick/grsyncbkups/.": Read-only file system (30)
Similar errors repeat over and over for each directory for "generator". For "receiver", it may read as follows:
Code:
rsync: [receiver] mkstemp "/run/media/bill/bigstick/grsyncbkups/.Thunderbird_profile_backup.zip.maDiV5" failed: Read-only file system (30)
I am trying to backup my /home directory. So, there should be no issues with read only files. Also, I'm running Grsync as super user thinking that would resolve the issue. It doesn't. Can you tell me what is going on and how to fix it?
BTW, doing a dry run does not show any errors, for what ever that may be worth.

Last edited:

I create an image of the whole Drive with either Foxclone or RedoRescue...sometimes I'll do it with both.
m0103.gif

https://www.foxclone.org/
https://github.com/redorescue/redorescue
https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/

adding -O / --omit-dir-times to your command line will avoid it trying to set modification times on directories.

adding -O / --omit-dir-times to your command line will avoid it trying to set modification times on directories.
I couldn't figure out how to insert the -O switch into the graphical grsync interface. So, I did it from the command line. Same or similar result. Many failures and most, if not all, had a statement regarding being a read only file system. I have checked permissions on several and none appear to be read only.

I suspect the read only file system error, is your target file system, not your source.

Can you "touch" a file on your target filesystem?

I suspect the read only file system error, is your target file system, not your source.

Can you "touch" a file on your target filesystem?
If I understand "touch" correctly, I can put the cursor on openable files like .jpg and select them and open them.

Followup: I just did a grsync backup to a different external drive and it worked perfectly (at least it said it did. I haven't try a recovery). I guess my "bigstick" external drive has gotten corrupted somehow.

Last edited:
If I understand "touch" correctly, I can put the cursor on openable files like .jpg and select them and open them.

No. Can you create a new file there.

Assuming your user name is bill. Go into a terminal console and type this.

chown -R bill:bill run/media/bill/bigstick/grsyncbkups/

Assuming your user name is bill. Go into a terminal console and type this.

chown -R bill:bill run/media/bill/bigstick/grsyncbkups/
The chown command ran and appeared to do it's job. However, I still cannot create a new file there. A message says that the file system is read only. With Nemo, I can check any file or directory and the properties say that I am the owner (same as before) and that I have read-write privileges (also the same).
Everything I have on that drive is pretty old. So, I'm thinking of just re-formatting it and starting over.

Another possibility is how it is mounted.

Can you share the contents of your /etc/fstab

Code:
#
#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Sun Jul 17 16:37:47 2022
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk/'.
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info.
#
# After editing this file, run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to update systemd
# units generated from this file.
#
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-root /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=603b881c-badb-4a24-a1fd-f4225255b3b8 /boot                   ext4    defaults        1 2
UUID=2CBA-DCD2          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-home /home                   ext4    defaults        1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_AAN7QNC97S5Q1SV8-0:0 /mnt/usb-Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_AAN7QNC97S5Q1SV8-0:0 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Staff online

Members online