GRUB command line eats my keystrokes

Grunthos

Reaction score
Credits
My GRUB is behaving very weirdly! If I enter 'e' or 'c', it displays the expected screen, but then when I try to position the cursor or enter any text, the characters displayed (or typed) are gradually erased from the cursor position leftwards, just as if I was holding down the Backspace key. I have re-installed GRUB, several times, but no improvement.

Other ways it misbehaves include: not timing out, just hanging with the menu showing; not displaying background image, despite reduced resolution (this may be because the screen is set up as low-res during boot; not important anyway)

Grateful for help from GRUB experts.

Last edited:

My GRUB is behaving very weirdly! If I enter 'e' or 'c', it displays the expected screen, but then when I try to position the cursor or enter any text, the characters displayed (or typed) are gradually erased from the cursor position leftwards, just as if I was holding down the Backspace key. I have re-installed GRUB, several times, but no improvement.

Other ways it misbehaves include: not timing out, just hanging with the menu showing; not displaying background image, despite reduced resolution (this may be because the screen is set up as low-res during boot; not important anyway)

Grateful for help from GRUB experts.

Are you using GRUB or GRUB 2?

Just curious, if you remove what I assume is a custom background image, does that change anything?

GRUB2. However, over the last few days I have removed, installed, and reinstalled, a million things while fixing another (non-GRUB) problem, and during all that, GRUB started to work properly again. So I guess this item can be closed.

GRUB2. However, over the last few days I have removed, installed, and reinstalled, a million things while fixing another (non-GRUB) problem, and during all that, GRUB started to work properly again. So I guess this item can be closed.

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Staff online