Grub issues (unresolved) from previous and current installations

Hamza147

Reaction score
Credits
I have newly installed a Linux mint distribution on my machine. But, apparently, I had some grub issues from previous installations (ubuntu, opensuse ...) . there is a partition that normally I've specified on Gparted for grub but I didn't manage to repair successfully the grub since the previous installations appear on the bios menu (when I restart I push boot options to be able to access LinuxMint, I attached an image of what my bios menu shows !!! ). If I don't push the bios menu key it says (os not found ...)

Here is a grub report generated using "boot-repair".

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-06 at 17.54.41.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-06 at 17.54.41.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 357

Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1
should clear MBR but not the table. Then proceed, would be one suggestion.

I don’t quite get the actual question.

I think that what you’re saying is that you may have a default EFI boot entry with no OS, from previous installations.

Nothing should prevent you from putting the Mint EFI boot entry as the default, by editing the EFI configuration.

If you want to get rid of the previous EFI boot entries, to locate more easily the right one, you can use the command efibootmgr, but you have to carefully select all those that don’t make sense anymore, and one by one use sudo efibootmgr -b XXXX -B, where XXXX is the number you can see in your pastebin (there’s a section with some efibootmgr output).

If it still doesn’t find the OS, try to recover grub, now from a cleaner situation. For this, check that you actually may need the grub-efi package and not just grub.

@Hamza147 za147 -- did you try, or do you know HOW2 implement a commandline command? Do you know what the particular command does?

@gvisoc -- apparently the OP needs instruction on how to ask a question.

At the bottom of the report it suggests "
The boot of your PC is in UEFI mode. You may want to retry after changing it to BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode."

Admittedly this is a little out of my knowledge area, but if you were to access "bios setup" would that give you any joy at all.

I think some expert help may be needed here

@wizardfromoz
@dos2unix
@Vrai
@Tolkem
@jglen490

These members will be alerted. They will at least take a look for you.

I have newly installed a Linux mint distribution on my machine. But, apparently, I had some grub issues from previous installations (ubuntu, opensuse ...) . there is a partition that normally I've specified on Gparted for grub but I didn't manage to repair successfully the grub since the previous installations appear on the bios menu (when I restart I push boot options to be able to access LinuxMint, I attached an image of what my bios menu shows !!! ). If I don't push the bios menu key it says (os not found ...)

Here is a grub report generated using "boot-repair".

Thanks for your help.

Can or can't you boot into your newly Mint install? If you can't and you have no data on the disk, I think your best and safer option is to wipe the disk and reinstall Mint, that way you make sure everything works as expected, honestly that's what I'd do if I were in your place. If you do have some data on the disk you'd like to save, boot a live USB and save it, wipe the disk using gparted or some other tool and reinstall Mint. Installing Linux doesn't take too long anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts