Grub rescue after reset bios

@Yousi ; ok well now i have to admit i bought a HP laptop Which was uefi firmware and had Windows 10 on it. In my haste i wiped everything and so was thinking hey this is a uefi PC and to use as intended really it should have an efi partition. So i put one back. yes you can put back an efi partition that will then be used by os /boot system

I used cgdisk from memory because im on Slackware basically 100MB fiel type EF00

in fact i think that is the way to proceed. in fact i'm thinking without a efi partition any attempt at any install along uefi lines won't go well- how can it without a efi partition ?

is there any way you can get a graphic of your partitions as is ? its helped in the past

I have already removed Linux from efi partition
Well, I think you are mistaken. If you would follow @f33dm3bits advice to run efibootmgr -v or followed the instructions in the links I provided, I think you would find your dead bootloader. It's unlikely you would encounter grub rescue if a Linux grub bootloader were not present on your hard drive, either in /efi or elsewhere on your hard drive. You installed Linux twice, and maybe you only removed grub once.

if the problem in the efi partition I think it will be fixed by reinstalling windows and recreating the efi partition ?!
Yes, that should work. It's just more effort than is needed. Whatever you want to do. This article says a clean install of Windows 10 should work, but it also gives some other options that you can try, in addition to those already suggested.

Last edited:
@Yousi ; ok well now i have to admit i bought a HP laptop Which was uefi firmware and had Windows 10 on it. In my haste i wiped everything and so was thinking hey this is a uefi PC and to use as intended really it should have an efi partition. So i put one back. yes you can put back an efi partition that will then be used by os /boot system

I used cgdisk from memory because im on Slackware basically 100MB fiel type EF00

in fact i think that is the way to proceed. in fact i'm thinking without a efi partition any attempt at any install along uefi lines won't go well- how can it without a efi partition ?

is there any way you can get a graphic of your partitions as is ? its helped in the past

I can't understand you clearly , but if you haven't efi partition maybe you laptop is not uefi or u are using MBR table you can wipe the disk and and the table and create gpt table but if your laptop not uefi you won't can to boot
You can check your partitions from g-parted in Linux or disk management in Windows

no i'm saying i once made a mistake and rectified it; my PC is uefi , i have an efi partition and slackware is running fine as usual

Members online