GRUB2 Horrible booting time after Xubuntu update(dual boot with ubuntu(booting time normal)

moment

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Dear linux community

I wasn't sure where I should write about it and in general if it would be useful, because I am quite a new to linux and I think, I fell I don't understand much.

Anyway so in short I had firstly a ubuntu 16 on my PC and then I found my PC is not powerful enough to handle this os, so I found that xubuntu is more light. I made a dual install and then after few days found that there is a newer version of xubuntu(from 18.10 to 19.04). I am not sure, but probably it wasn't like that before that, but the booting time now, for the xubuntu now takes long time(much more longer then the ubuntu option).
The give an example, the grub when selected xubuntu position is still visible for like 5-10 seconds.
For the ubuntu position it's just 1 second maybe.
I don't know also if that's normal, but before os loading screen there are some messages on black screen, every time, something about files cleaned. But on other PC's it's the same story, so I guess it's normal for the linux.

In short I just wonder if the reason could be that update that I've done and if that situation could be understood somehow in general and therefore some fix can be applied...

Thank you.

G'day @moment and welcome to linux.org :)

So with your dual boot, are you dualling with Ubuntu and Xubuntu, or Xubuntu and Windows? If Windows, which version?

If it is Ubuntu and Xubuntu, you can go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and type in and enter the following

Code:
cat /etc/default/grub

and report the output to us. That will tell us something about the timer at startup.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Besides what Wizard asked for above, what make and model computer are you running? How much RAM and if you know, what model CPU?
If you're running on old hardware, it is likely that the update is what's causing it to run slower. Ubuntu's (or Xubuntu) older but still supported LTS is 18.04.02. LTS means Long Term Supported, which is 5 years (2023). Running on this LTS will get you all the security updates and whatnot till 2023. So you should probably reinstall Xubuntu 18.04 and not upgrade past it. And think about upgrading your computer, if it is indeed so old that it's having trouble running newer versions of the OS.

Thank you @wizardfromoz for warm welcoming and concern. It's just ubuntu and xubuntu.
This is the mentioned output:
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT="0"
GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL="console"

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE="1280x1024x24"

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true"

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

export GRUB_MENU_PICTURE="/home/master/Pictures/DiscoDingo.jpg"
export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="blue/black"
export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="yellow/red"

Besides...
Thank you for stressing this things. I am aware of them and was also wondering if maybe that might be the main cause(although my intuition says it's small probability even tho the spec are low).
The specs are:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz
2 GB RAM
30GB for Xubuntu

...but before os loading screen there are some messages on black screen, every time,...

This is normal. It might look something like this

Code:
dev/sda1: clean, 552599/6111232 files, 7119295/24414464 blocks

or in place of /dev/sdxy, it might say eg Ubuntu 16.04 or similar.

Linux runs a process called fsck when it starts, similar to Windows' chkdsk.

It is just saying there are no problems with your files.

So you should probably reinstall Xubuntu 18.04 and not upgrade past it.

I agree.

1. If you like, give us the output for cat /etc/default/grub for the other (Ubuntu) distro and we can see any differences.

2. Likewise the output for

Code:
cat /etc/fstab

for both Ubuntu and Xubuntu and identify for us which belongs to which.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts