GRUB2 - recovering Windows Recovery Environment

B

berkov

Hey ho!

I've got an issue with Windows Recovery Environment after the Ubuntu installation, in particular after the installation of GRUB2. On sda1 i've got Win7 installation thing(bootable, somethign like previously supplied win installation cd but on hdd - the biggest mistake of microsoft), on sda2 i've installed win7 which now i need to reinstall. GRUB2 sits at the first 512 b of sda with following 4 entries:
Linux ...
LInux recovery ....
Windows 7 ....
Windows 7 recovery env...

Everything works ok except for the Windows Recovery Env.
The entry for Win RecEnv is as follows:
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0, msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set da1e-3be0
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1

after choosing Windows 7 recovery env i get the following error:
booting a command list
error: no argument specified,
Press any key to continue...

...and then a black screen with blinking cursor appears (which is probably worse than the windows blue screen).

I think i've tried everything what i could only think of, i remember that when i first installed GRUB2 i had to do some manual changes to Windws 7 entry coz it wouldn't run either. So i tried in a various ways to modify the entry for Win recovery but with no luck. I even did a backup of MBR (first 512 b of my sda) and tried to restore the windows boot from some other windows installation cd by running bootrec /fixmbr and then /fixboot.. but after this the thing got even worse coz then on pc start up instead of loading windows directly i only got the black screen with that annoying blinking cursor. so i had to recover my grub2 from the backup to boot anything at all.

Is there any way to get to the sda1 and boot the Windows Recovery thing from it?

thanks in advance!!
berkov

i remember that when i first installed GRUB2 i had to do some manual changes to Windws 7 entry

When Ubuntu is installed along side Windows 7 (dual-boot), no entires need to be changed (at least the way I do it). I do not know how to fix your problem (besides a full re-installation). To install Ubuntu with Windows, install Windows on sda1, Ubuntu on sda2, and swap on sda3. Install Windows first. Ubuntu should detect Windows and configure GRUB accordingly.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts