GTX 660 and Linux

Andriko

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

My PC runs a GTX 660, and I am soon going to install KDE Neon on it (waiting for postman). However, a couple of things I have read have left me concerned - 4th post and here. I have experienced the 'freeze' already when running a live Mint off of a pen drive (once quite fast, another after a few minutes or so). At first I thought it might just be the USB socket, but the NVIDIA thing seems a better fit.

It seems that once the NVIDIA drivers are set up, it should work fine if I turn of Nouveua, however, if it freezes up before I get a chance to do that it might make things a bit difficult. Is there a way to install the NVIDIA drivers from 'outside' KDE Neon? For example, installing it direct onto the SSD whilst in Windows. Or is there an easy way to turn off the GPU whilst I download them?

Thanks for the help - I am aware that I have been asking a lot of dumb questions and everyone here is being very patient with me. The help is much appreciated.

A

If you are having trouble with your GUI which freezes because of driver problems, you can boot up in text mode and download and install what you need.

Thanks, NorthWest. I didn't even realize that was an option, and much easier than what I thought I might have to do (take out the GPU for a bit...).

I have been asking a lot of dumb questions
They are only Dumb if you already know the answer, From what I have seen, you are spending time to try and ensure you have a good understanding of Linux before you start, makes a change from the "my WI -FI won't work", or "why don't Linux work" questions

Thanks Wiz. I am sure a lot of it will become clearer with experience (there was a bit of a post delay, so I haven't got all the bits I am after yet). Internet searches do provide a lot of answers, however, sometimes they don't quite cover the specifics.

Internet searches do provide a lot of answers, however, sometimes they don't quite cover the specifics.
Internet searches are very much like asking us a question, the answer you get is the result of what you ask. If for example you ask your search engine" my Reateck Wi-Fi won't work" you will get many offerings, if you say "my Reateck Wi-Fi won't work on Linux" you will get a better selection of answers, and if you go the whole hog and ask" my Realteck 8****c Wi-Fi won't work in Ubuntu" you will find your results more relevant to your problem...
As the old saying goes, rubbish in = rubbish out :eek: