Guidance for new system running NAS, DLNA, RAID5 and NZB

B

BRLi

Background for this post:
My plan to use Windows Home Server 2011 didn't work so I thought I might try Linux. Haven't used Linux for about 12 years and then already installed and working systems.

Yesterday I tried Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Alternative CD 12.04 but didn't get it to work and didn't find suitable packages. Alt.CD was bad. it just kept itself rebooting over and over again.

So thats why I post here. I need suggestions for what dist to install? What packages I need? and some guidance how to install and configure them.

Requirements
• NZB for newsgroup downloads
• DLNA so my Philips bluray can play stuff on the TV
• Shared storage (NAS, Raid5)for my Windows computers
• Torrent client (Magnet link), should be easy to turn on and off. Never “always on”.
• Media playback directly on TV
• Adding subs in Matroska files
• Online 24/7
Future Requirements:
• Accessible over internet when traveling for backing up photos.
• Accessing NAS from other locations

Hardware
• Motherboard: Asus E45M1-I Deluxe (integrated CPU)
• RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz CL9 2x4GB
• Chassi: Antec Mini P180 (Black)
• PSU: Corsair AX750
• Optical device: Asus BW-12B1ST
• SYS storage: Kingston SSDNow V+200 SVP200S3 120GB
• TEMP storage: 1x Western Digital Caviar RE4 64MB 2TB
• NAS storage (RAID 5): 3x Western Digital Caviar Red WD20EFRX 64MB 2TB
• Old not working OS: Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Swe (64-bit OEM)
Future hardware
• RAID/SATA controller within some days/weeks
• More HDDs for NAS when necessary
Description
The SSD store all system data. NZB/Torrents are stored on TEMPdrive during download. When finished the files are then moved to the NAS-area.
The files in the NAS can be played directly on the TV or streamed via DLNA to any DLNA certified player. And accessed from any computer.

The SSD states "not for server use" so could I upload the system to a RAM-drive and run from there instead?

Another question is software raid or hardware?
I am missing one sata port to install all 3 RED-drives and therefor haven't come so fare on the raid. I also have space for two more drives that I plan to install in the raid when I run out of space.
/BRLi

Edit 2012-10-08: I've now tried FreeNAS for a day and it seams like it's the way to go. Sadly it means that direct playback on a TV or all the fancy features of the MB will not be used. At the moment I am trying to figure out how to install FreeNAS without using the entire SYS-drive so I can put the strange JAIL on the same hdd.

Members online