Guide to choosing a Linux distro

E

encryptedbytes

I recently happened upon a couple brief, but useful articles about choosing a Linux distribution and thought they might be of benefit here to my fellow Linux noobs:

How to Choose a Desktop Linux Distribution
This article focuses on what factors to consider, such as your skill level, hardware, and software, when choosing a Linux distro.

A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions
This article gives a brief overview of 10 of the most popular distros available and what they have to offer.

If you know of other good info on choosing distros please share!

Hey, thanks for the share. I think a lot of new Linux enthusiasts gonna find this useful.

Actually, these are pretty decent guides.. I wouldn't thought that PCWorld is capable for something like that :p I hope you will find out which one suits you, I think the best way to find out what do you like the most is trying them.

Hm... hard to tell. I'm missing some in deep knowledge here. It's very beginner and doesn't explain so much. Very good for some new one. But else to light. Also some mistakes.
For example: Fedora is no targeting any business, it's the playground of RedHat to bring new feature on the desktop. systemd is far apart of a stable desktop.

so far
Akendo

I have a very simple guide for anyone starting with Linux. Use the distro that your friend is using. Nothing beats having someone to hold your hand when you are taking baby steps.

I have a very simple guide for anyone starting with Linux. Use the distro that your friend is using. Nothing beats having someone to hold your hand when you are taking baby steps.

just as what i learned. It will be great if a distro can just work like windows by simply clicking icons and software will launch. but I also like distro that don't take much space just like bodhilinux.

There some good guides; thank you for sharing them ;) Personally I prefer Ubuntu or Fedora, though I'm thinking of starting-up a cloud server that will use CentOS, although, I haven't fully decided just yet.

Yeah, but many norteamericanos do it "on their own," then join a forum and make friends like you and enhu! Must be a cultural thing!

Very good advice, nonetheless.

BTW, Victor Leigh, you sure seem to favor Puppy Linux! I use it, too, but mostly for forensic and security purposes. I agree, it is a good intro, albeit a somewhat idiosyncratic distro.

Adding to EncryptedBytes's refs -- same source -- Ubuntu and Slackware Named Top Desktop Linux Distros

That's great advice, but unfortunately I'm the geekiest among my family and friends. There are plenty of computer users, some with very advanced skills in coding, web development, and other areas, but not a Linux user among them - all users of various versions on Windows, not even a Mac user in there!

I am on my own with this one, fortunately there are wonderful places like Linux Forum and I have excellent Google-fu so I don't worry too much :)

Members online

Latest posts