H265 and GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile

incedis

Reaction score
Credits
I cannot seem to decode h265 with my GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile. Is it normal ? I have no issue using h264.

If you are using Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based OS open Synaptic Package Manager and search for x265 -
x265 is a commandline encoder for creating H.265/High Efficiency Video Coding
(HEVC) video streams.

Thanks for your reply.
I am flying my drone and producing h265 videos which are basically unreadable on my platform. Arch with KDE latest.
H264 is fine. I just want to find a way that would allow me to use H265 on my footage and read them on my rig but it seems mission impossible I am afraid. After reading and reading about HEVC/H265 and 'GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile', it seems I am out of luck. I tried to read those footage on a Mac M1, just to check if something was wrong with the footage, and the Mac decoded the footage like it was nothing. Even my iPhone does a better job than my laptop.. :eek:
I used MPV, HARUNA and VLC. VLC seems to be the only one kind of Ok with H265 but its really not the best at all. Probably should move to OS X. But don't have the cash for it. May be Santa is going to be nice to me :cool:

Last edited:
Apologies. Yes I do have the nvidia drivers installed. Forgot to mention that. 495.44
I also have libde265.
I really think its a limitation of the video card. Was running Windows prior to jumping to Linux and has the same issue.

Apologies. Yes I do have the nvidia drivers installed. Forgot to mention that. 495.44
I also have libde265.
I really think its a limitation of the video card. Was running Windows prior to jumping to Linux and has the same issue.
yep most likely the case

Members online