Happy 30th Birthday Linux

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Today Aug. 25th Linux turns 30 years old. What started as a hobby is now a world wide OS that has matured to be one of the best operating systems ever.
:)

iu

Unless I'm missing something, we're celebrating prematurely. The birthday isn't until the 17th of next month.

Why yes, yes I do have that date in my calendar!

Some say it was as early and July but the first announcement was Aug 25th 1991. If you want to read more about see here.

Some say it was as early and July but the first announcement was Aug 25th 1991. If you want to read more about see here.

Ah, they're counting when he mentioned it in public and not when it was released. 0.01 was on the 17th. I'll be the curmudgeon and celebrate it then.

@Pro Mantis, I merged your thread with the existing birthday thread.

Excerpt from the link:
Hello everyone out there using minix –
I am developing a (free) operating system (just as a hobby, it won’t be big and professional like gnu) for AT 386 (486) clones. This idea has been maturing since April, and now it is starting to be ready. I would like to receive any comments on things that people like and don’t like about minix, as my operating system looks a bit like it (same physical layout of the filesystem (for practical reasons) among other things).
I have already moved bash (1.08) and gcc (1.40) and things seem to work. This implies that I could have something practical in a few months, and I would like to know what features people would like to have the most. Any suggestions are welcome, but I don’t promise that I will implement all of them

This is how Linus Torvalds, on August 25, 1991, presented Linux, the kernel for operating systems that has changed the world , both because of the technology that has been deployed around it, and because of the development model that it has incorporated and popularized. in the business sector and that has revolutionized software development.

Members online

Latest posts