[SOLVED] Hardware desktop config: Linux + Windows VMs

Sirius

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I am a long-term Windows user, who switched to Mac, and now would like to switch completely to Linux, so I need some guidance on where to start.
I mostly used laptops previously, but now I want to build a solid Linux desktop (64GB RAM), so I can run Windows VM occasionally either for gaming or CAD work.
My knowledge about desktop CPUs / GPUs is also a bit outdated.

The questions I have:
  1. Taking into account the recent announcement from AMD, does it make sense to make a build around AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + RX 6900 (once both will be available)?
  2. Or Nvidia 3090 + Ryzen will be still superior even on Linux?
  3. What is the general situation with drivers for GPU, meaning is there a reason why AMD can be a preferable option over Nvidia?
  4. The same question goes for CPU: is Intel generally better than AMD for Linux?
  5. What is the recommended approach for configuring software in the situation, where Linux should be responsible for managing almost all daily tasks and development, where Windows or other VMs will launch CAD with dedicated graphics enabled and 1 external Ultrawide monitor, 1 keyboard and mouse?
    1. I found quite a simple yet interesting setup via KVM / VFIO (YouTube Url)
    2. I also look towards Logitech Flow software, but not sure if it as available for Linux (I plan to start with Pop_OS)
I will appreciate if you can give me the direction on where to look. Thank you in advance.

1. Ryzen is the most logical choice to go for now when it comes to CPU if you are buying a new system.
2. I haven't had any AMD graphics cards in the last years, I've always gotten the idea that games run better with nvidia cards don't know if it's true. I read that the new generation AMD graphics cards come real close to the new generation nvidia cards performance wise and cost less. So you will have to decide for yourself closed source drivers and cost a bit more vs opensource drivers, almost same performance for less the price of an RTX3000.
3. In the last years I've always had nvidia cards and have never had any problems with nvidia drivers on GNU/Linux. With nvidia cards you have to install the driver separately and with AMD cards you don't have to install anything because the drivers are in the linux kernel.
4. It doesn't really matter, I run my home nas on a ryzen en my desktop system has an intel cpu both run like you expect them.
5. I wouldn't know what to tell you on this one, I run all my games on GNU/Linux and I only run a windows vm to be able to connect in to work because the VPN client doesn't support GNU/Linux.

Ryzen 9 or Intel core I9 are both good choices, I last several years I have only used Nvidia Cards, so I cannot comment on AMD, I do know Nvidia works well with Linux. I also have Windows on a VM, but only use it for my Garmin GPS since Garmin in their infinite wisdom decided not to support Linux, but that is all I use for.

@Lord Boltar, I also use Garmin, so it is quite an important piece of information xD

TomTom has some basic Linux support, if that matters for your future purchases.

Ok, so I have decided to go the AMD route (GPU + CPU) as it has more price/value ratio. Also, recent actions from nVidia were at minimum disappointing

Members online