Has anyone here read this book on Mint 20?

Jay Blair

Reaction score
Credits
Since I first started installing Mint for friends the network connections were easy to configure Live Mint USBs because the folks had already gotten the broadband gateways that run their internet and power their now VOIP phones using their house current and battery in the event of outages so the phone company can eliminate as many landline blades as possible.

As the Wizard and other Linux elders here know , I am trying to get the most Windows similar Linux for myself and a few others and Mint seems good.

My low cost dial up ISP tech support contact sent me an older Linux for beginners book about Ubuntu and derivatives, but it has minimal information on Mint 20.

The book I am considering getting at the local bookstore as a textbook addition to what I read here is Linux Mint 20 Desktops and Administration by Richard Petersen.

Would this be a good choice as a textbook addition as I try to understand the wired network configurations? I just have to figure how to make Mint network dial the Linux $10 a month dial in ISP I have.

The older paperback I was given says any Ubuntu derivative can handle dial up in the absence of broad band but the live Linux drive I brought home stonewalled my effort to add a wired connection.

So should I buy this 2021 book by Richard Petersen as a textbook?

Thanks for the link. I will tinker with it with my live USB and see if I can make it work. I am already learning how to move some of my windows pictures and documents into the live stick by letting this windows PC boot and putting them on stick drive and then booting on the live stick and importing them into Mint.

You don't need to buy books as they are always out of date and don't tell you most things you learn form experience.
happy0006.gif

Linux Mint is an excellent Distro...I've been using it for 7 years. It's stable and very user friendly and if you have any problems...this Forum is here to help.
happy0034.gif

As for Dial-Up...I can't help as it's long gone...didn't know some people still have it
confused0012.gif
must be painfully slow and would take weeks or more to download the Mint ISO if it's even possible.
confused0024.gif

Today, VoIP Internet telephony is a fairly common thing. Its advantages are unambiguous - ease of use and cheap tariffs, with which you can call anywhere in the world without leaving home. The most common program for making such calls is Skype. To install Skype under Linux (for example, in Ubuntu or openSUSE), users need to download the corresponding precompiled package from the official website of the project and run it in the package manager (Synaptic or Yast).

Last edited:
You don't need to buy books as they are always out of date and don't tell you most things you learn form experience.
happy0006.gif
Learn Linux as you use Linux is the best method.

This is useful.

As for Dial-Up...I can't help as it's long gone...didn't know some people still have it
confused0012.gif
must be painfully slow and would take weeks or more to download the Mint ISO if it's even possible.
confused0024.gif
I know someone who has dial-up and it is very painful to use.
Downloading anything is almost impossible.
They have it because it's free.

Members online

Latest posts