Has anyone tried the new AMD Catalyst Omega driver?

It's great. Catalyst performance, stability and a few small details have improved a lot lately, like no more multiheadaches after (dis)connecting hdmi "without notice".

Besides, it makes my APUs and video cards run cooler than foss drivers do.

Installing it right now via
Code:
yaourt -S catalyst-total
I hope it does not make any problems with the current driver... :\ I hate to work on video card driver stuff... ruined my systems many times...

edit: catalyst-total is in conflict with mhwd, remove mhwd? Can anyone give me an advise? I installed new kernels with mhwd I don't think it is a good idea to remove it?!

Last edited:
It's great. Catalyst performance, stability and a few small details have improved a lot lately, like no more multiheadaches after (dis)connecting hdmi "without notice".

Besides, it makes my APUs and video cards run cooler than foss drivers do.
What APU are you using? A friend of mine can't use Linux due to the lack of good APU support on his laptop.

I thought it was already Vi0L0 since he commented on the catalyst-total package and uses it himself...

I am not exactly sure wether this is my APU or you mean something else... I have a ATI Radeon HD 5850 which should be supported (problems detected with series 2x 3x 4x)

What APU are you using? A friend of mine can't use Linux due to the lack of good APU support on his laptop.
A8-4500M and A10-5750M.

A-Series is great for Linux. I have limited experience with the other series, however.

One of my laptops was upgraded thanks to damn cheap chip sales. I'm definitely upgrading the other one, having beheld the performance boost.

It's better in real life gaming than many "on-pair" competitors, considering only on-chip graphics capabilities, despite some "tech" websites comparisons.

AMD A10 APU against Intel i5 on HP Probook 600 series :D

Plus, it does great in general tasks as expected.

Sorry for spamming, but it may solve your friend's Linux issue. It can be a nice upgrade. A paired set of 1600MHz or 1866MHz ram (max for A10-5750M) would be nice either. APUs benefit a lot from high frequency dual channel.

I've had great linux support for my APU laptops so far. They work & perform well on popular distributions. It was a little tricky with arch in the beginning, but catalyst evolved considerably.

Although some non-a-series seem not to work well for laptops on linux, most desktop APUs are linux-friendly, I usb-booted some machines in stores.

PS4 and XBOX1 are using APUs with clever, dynamic RAM management (8GB DDR5 for both graphic and central processing). I guess the next generation of APUs will kick ass, but AMD will delay their release for console sake.

I thought it was already Vi0L0 since he commented on the catalyst-total package and uses it himself... I have a ATI Radeon HD 5850 which should be supported (problems detected with series 2x 3x 4x)
Do you have an APU and an offboard GPU? From your specs, let's assume you have a CPU and an offboard GPU, more likely.

Regardless, it's a Manjaro issue mainly, as Ryan said. If Catalyst were working before, it should keep working, you'll just have to reconfigure properly. If it's not working for you yet, roll back to latest working config.

Of course Arch itself (or based others) can also have issues depending on what's installed. But my Catalyst updates have been seamless lately... And I am running a - sometimes arch-tricky - APU (cpu and gpu in a single chip).

Last edited:
How do you install the driver?

The usuall method I use:
Code:
yaourt catalyst-test
sudo pacman -S acpid
sudo systemctl enable atieventsd
sudo systemctl start atieventsd
sudo systemctl enable catalyst-hook
sudo systemctl start catalyst-hook
sudo aticonfig --initial

edit grub.cfg with: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

It has caused me to get a completely broken system, all I get at boot is a flashing cursor after it mounts my drives with no rescue prompt.

My card is a R9 270x by the way.

The usuall method I use:
Code:
yaourt catalyst-test
sudo pacman -S acpid
sudo aticonfig --initial

It has caused me to get a completely broken system, all I get at boot is a flashing cursor after it mounts my drives with no rescue prompt.

You should install regular Catalyst. That package has been updated to the Omega drivers. You may also want to use the ViOLO repository

The usuall method I use:
Code:
yaourt catalyst-test
sudo pacman -S acpid
sudo aticonfig --initial

Yep, you're installing the unstable branch. Add [URL='https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Vi0l0/']Vi0L0's repository to pacman.conf[/URL] for a cleaner install and avoid catalyst-test if you're a regular desktop user.

Guys, what do you think about Intel HD Graphics? I use it and never had any problems with major Linux distributions and also *BSD and other Unix such as Solaris and OpenIndiana

Guys, what do you think about Intel HD Graphics? I use it and never had any problems with major Linux distributions and also *BSD and other Unix such as Solaris and OpenIndiana
Best Graphics drivers around are for Intel. I use them all the time on my laptop.

Regarding drivers, Intel may be the best currently, although AMD users won't have driver problems on most popular distributions.

But for better performance in integrated graphics (gpu+cpu on the same chip), AMD wins :rolleyes:

Members online