Has Linux Installed

S33sh

Reaction score
Credits
Have just loaded Linux, and the installation seem to go well and I had presumed it was installed.

When restarting the computer it just boots straight back into Windows.

How do I check Linux has installed ? From the disk Manager in windows I can only see one bootable partition.

Is this a UEFI computer? If so, you might need to press some Fn key to access the boot menu, and from there select Linux. For example, in my laptop I have to press F9, then I'm presented with a menu where I choose what OS I want to boot to, in your case it might or might not be same key, usually a message appears at boot which reads something like "press key to access start menu", where key can be esc, shift, or some other key.

It's 'esc' on mine and there is no options in the boot menu to run Linux - hence I am thinking it is not loaded.

But, I watched it load successfully! It even installed Grub so I really am at a loss. I don't want to instal it again if it is already there.

It's 'esc' on mine and there is no options in the boot menu to run Linux - hence I am thinking it is not loaded.

But, I watched it load successfully! It even installed Grub so I really am at a loss. I don't want to instal it again if it is already there.
When you press esc it's probably to access the start menu, do you see some other options there? There should be one to change the boot device. For example, like I said before, if I press F9 I get a menu to select which OS to boot to, but if I press esc, I get a menu with other options, amongst those, to press F9 to select the boot device. I just press F9 directly instead, that might be your case too. So, you may try pressing F9 and see if that takes you directly to that menu, or press esc and look for that option.

This may be a 'silly' question......but......did you take the usb stick out after installing Linux/when you rebooted ?

And it would help to know which Linux Distro you tried to install?
Also Windows Does not read Linux partitions. So that would not be of help to you.

Sounds like you just need to update Grub so when your pc boots you can choose Windows or Linux.

There are a lot of Linux distro's, which one did you install?

And what type, 'make and model' pc did you install Linux on? Sony? Toshibia? Dell?

I believe it was Linux Mint.

Yes, I took the USB stick out when I was told to by the installation process.

Can't find any mention of it any part of the boot, no options to load anything other than windows..

I still think there is a new partition (although not 100% certain) Interesting to know windows does not list/catalogue Linux, so that new partition may or not be linux...

So do you think it is safe to assume it never installed and have another go ?

Sounds like you just need to update Grub so when your pc boots you can choose Windows or Linux.

There are a lot of Linux distro's, which one did you install?

And what type, 'make and model' pc did you install Linux on? Sony? Toshibia? Dell?
How would I update grub ? if it is on the machine where would I find it ?

reboot from the live usb, From there you can look and see if a linux partition was made. I believe a program called Disk analyzer. that will tell you if the partition was made. If it was you can then go to
make sure that the boot file was created. Should be a small boot partition or file With a uefi file in it.
you can update grub if it's all there. with this command in a terminal from the live USB .
Code:
sudo update-grub
Also this page may be of help to you. Dual boot

Another way to see if Mint was installed is let the Live USB of Mint boot up open the terminal and type:
sudo fdisk -l <that's a small letter L>

If Mint's installed you will see your Windows partition and the Mint partitions too.

Another way to see if Mint was installed is let the Live USB of Mint boot up open the terminal and type:
sudo fdisk -l <that's a small letter L>

If Mint's installed you will see your Windows partition and the Mint partitions too.

^^^^.....Alexzee's solution above is the least invasive, and easiest to achieve.

Members online

Latest posts