Have any of you found that you've had problems with internet addiction?

C

CrazedNerd

Long story short...i've used the internet waaay too much over the past couple of years. I used to be better at compartmentalizing my activities, but i've grown accustomed to this feeling that i "must" use the internet, and i've gotten confused about how i should and shouldn't use it. I know it sounds like a silly thing to talk about on the internet, but i really would like to hear how you've dealt with it personally...because being good at using computers just isn't enough for me. Having a learning approach is great...but not when i've obviously short-circuited my own brain.

I think a life balance is very important so I know where you are coming from I have wasted many a day browsing on the internet for hours. Before you know it a day is gone.

I think a life balance is very important . . .
and achieving that balance between the physical, mental and spiritual is the primary challenge for humans in this chaotic world today. It is full of perverted priorities, it seems. Addiction is but a symptom. The whole world is out of balance. And we all must find our way individually, it seems, to the center. Best wishes!

Addiction is but a symptom.

I agree with this 100%, even though everything wrong with the world may be a symptom, sometimes i get confused by "causes and effects", like, where does one thing end and the other begin?

Yeah I spend quite a bit of time online some days.

I spend time in the kitchen cooking or grilling outdoors.
I spend time shooting my firearms and reloading ammo.

We ride our bicycles around our neighborhood and sometimes to the local bar for lunch and a few drinks.

Wife and I spend Saturdays mornings walking around the outdoor flea markets.
We hardly buy anything unless it's an antique item we really want and isn't all butchered up.

Yep the internet can become an addiction and has become an addiction for some.

I allow a couple of hours here and there on the internet and then get up and find something else to do.

I can go back as needed or wanted thoughout the day and just prefer a break now and then every so often.

. . . where does one thing end and the other begin?
This is where the most neglected and most misunderstood aspect of humanity comes into play -- the spiritual.

Western minds tend to want to separate aspects of life that are not separable but form part of a whole. That's all I'll say for now. I have an appointment

This is where the most neglected and most misunderstood aspect of humanity comes into play -- the spiritual.

Western minds tend to want to separate aspects of life that are not separable but form part of a whole. That's all I'll say for now. I have an appointment
yeah and part of the reason i have this confusion is because i unfortunately wasted too much time arguing with people about politics over the internet...if there's one field of thought that absolutely requires this separation, it's politics...

I think most of us are even though are not willing to admit it(even me), either stuck to our computer screen or stuck to our mobile phone screen. To be honest I think I would get bored really easily without internet or without being able to game online with my Xbox. What am I going to do if I don't have those, read a book? I prefer reading documentation and online articles about technology and Linux. Also it's not really an option to not live without the internet because all the services around seem to be going towards streaming services, good luck without internet.

I think most of us are even though are not willing to admit it(even me), either stuck to our computer screen or stuck to our mobile phone screen. To be honest I think I would get bored really easily without internet or without being able to game online with my Xbox. What am I going to do if I don't have those, read a book? I prefer reading documentation and online articles about technology and Linux. Also it's not really an option to not live without the internet because all the services around seem to be going towards streaming services, good luck without internet.
i think books can be great, however they are often more difficult to concentrate on...

i think books can be great, however they are often more difficult to concentrate on...
I usually fall asleep when I tried to read a book(and even those are on my kindle e-reader, I enjoy audiobooks more though because I have to concentrate less on reading but just being able to listen.

I get a little annoyed if my 'net goes out and I have something I should be doing online.

Other than that, not really...

On the positive side one can find good programs to watch which are better than what terrestrial tv can serve up (a multitude of reality tv and cooking shows). Tubitv is good.

The last post of mine in this thread was Wednesday morning. It was approximately 36 hours from that time until the next instance of my getting on the internet in any way (I do not own a smart phone), I thought. Until I remember that my Roku TV uses the internet. I turn it on almost daily to watch local weather and world news. In short, internet usage is everywhere in so-called developed countries. In many instances, it cannot be escaped.

Virtual worlds have replaced the real and genuine world we live in. Most have become so separated from the real blood and guts that get spilled in the processes of physical survival that many are aghast when they are confronted with getting their hands dirty or even recognizing that life comes from death. Instead of giving thanks to the elements and creatures of the Mother from which we all come, we take it for granted and view ourselves as "above such things" or "we are better than that" (we say let the farmworkers do it, or let the janitor clean up after us) and that we are somehow entitled to what is needed to survive and thrive!

We'll have to wake up from our addiction(s) one of these days.

The last post of mine in this thread was Wednesday morning. It was approximately 36 hours from that time until the next instance of my getting on the internet in any way (I do not own a smart phone), I thought. Until I remember that my Roku TV uses the internet. I turn it on almost daily to watch local weather and world news. In short, internet usage is everywhere in so-called developed countries. In many instances, it cannot be escaped.

Virtual worlds have replaced the real and genuine world we live in. Most have become so separated from the real blood and guts that get spilled in the processes of physical survival that many are aghast when they are confronted with getting their hands dirty or even recognizing that life comes from death. Instead of giving thanks to the elements and creatures of the Mother from which we all come, we take it for granted and view ourselves as "above such things" or "we are better than that" (we say let the farmworkers do it, or let the janitor clean up after us) and that we are somehow entitled to what is needed to survive and thrive!

We'll have to wake up from our addiction(s) one of these days.

I tend to find talking on forums in general to be the most problematic, when I watch stuff it's usually pretty enjoyable yet you make a good point about screen reality blocking out nature and being addicted to a fake reality...I'm actually considering getting a dumb phone since my phone provider lies to me about how much they charge to the tune $30 for my plan...

There has to be a balance between how much time you spend on the Internet and how much time you spend in life. I have an addiction to the internet but I don't want to fight it

Reality is over rated. We cannot escape politics, it is now in everything. The culture is messed up for sure in a lot of areas. I can read a book in 2-3 days, just picked one up Monday will start reading this evening. In winter I spend time at the screen. Used to ride motorcycles a lot. 1 in the garage has not seen the road in 15 years. Too many idiots on the road and my back can't take it anymore.
Would spend days shooting at a range. Way to much for ammo now to waste a lot.

Just had to put a dog down, Norris my Avatar is still kickin' but his brother had a tumor in his jaw. Put in an application for another at a no kill shelter 2 days later, now have a 65lb Shepherd mix that is just a year and NUTS at the moment. Norris has not killed him yet but sometimes the looks I get ;)

Some hobbies we have in life don't last out the age we get, or the balance in the bank. Don't think a whole lot when you are still working, but once you retire you need to back away from spending a lot.

Alas, some beloved lifestyles become anachronisms if we live long enough!
James Lee Burke is good at bewailing that fact.

Reality is over rated. We cannot escape politics, it is now in everything. The culture is messed up for sure in a lot of areas. I can read a book in 2-3 days, just picked one up Monday will start reading this evening. In winter I spend time at the screen. Used to ride motorcycles a lot. 1 in the garage has not seen the road in 15 years. Too many idiots on the road and my back can't take it anymore.
Would spend days shooting at a range. Way to much for ammo now to waste a lot.

Just had to put a dog down, Norris my Avatar is still kickin' but his brother had a tumor in his jaw. Put in an application for another at a no kill shelter 2 days later, now have a 65lb Shepherd mix that is just a year and NUTS at the moment. Norris has not killed him yet but sometimes the looks I get ;)

Some hobbies we have in life don't last out the age we get, or the balance in the bank. Don't think a whole lot when you are still working, but once you retire you need to back away from spending a lot.
Yeah non-computer reality doesn't really work as a virtue, especially when so many are dropping out of it...however, studies have that shown that being in the wilderness for even short periods of time has benefits. Humans and human civilization are both pretty toxic. Online, there are so many zealots and bullies that it makes me sick. I thought it was obvious fact of life that you can't actually change someone else's opinion, why can't people learn to argue with what is said in a discussion rather than focus your hate on the person speaking? One on one, i could talk about anything for eternity, but online if you find yourself on the wrong side of the discussion, you just get attacked over and over again.

The main reason that I posted this is because i've been sitting in chairs and cars so much over the past month that I slipped my disk again, and my screens and phones have been reminding me that I do rely on them to a degree. I've given up on the idea that i'm going to have a sedentary at home job relating to computers, once my back heals i'm going to go get another part time job that requires me to be standing.

And no, i'm not recommending that anyone "fights their internet addiction". The internet may be bad, it probably is, but it has a lot of therapeutic and helpful qualities so that approach doesn't work unless your from a country that's poor enough that the internet still isn't available for a lot of people...yeah you can drop out of the internet in a country not like that but it's very difficult and you will probably lose friends over it (which are also over-rated, btw...)

@CrazedNerd -- your sincere effort objectivity implies some education in critical thinking and respect for others' points of view. These are things lacking in those who focus their hate on others with opposing viewpoints. Ignorance is not reprehensible unless it is viewed as something to be proud of,

proving itself to be willfull ignorance.

And isn't it ironic that now the term "critical thinking" has a not-so-positive connotation in the minds of the general populace due to that other thing critical that has been politicized beyond reason?

And isn't it ironic that now the term "critical thinking" has a not-so-positive connotation in the minds of the general populace due to that other thing critical that has been politicized beyond reason?
I like puzzles, lol, are we talking about "critical meditation", "un-critical thinking", "COVID"? Basically everything has been politicized.

And thanks for the implied compliments...i have to start learning how to be kind to myself again, it won't take that long but being focused on tasks that i care about certainly helps. I personally don't like "positive thinking", but there has to be some allowance to see the bright/not-so-horrible side of things every once in a while, which is why I pay such little attention to the news.

Members online