Have any of you found that you've had problems with internet addiction?

They need to teach Critical Thinking in school, along with Civics.

I had to look up what "civics" was...and i think it's ridiculous they don't. So they use your money to fund the schools, then they're not going to teach you about how the government works?? If it were up to me though, the kids would either not have to put up with school or spend less time there...but i digress...

Yeah, we need to bring Civics back into the education. It, and some history, was replaced with "Social Studies".

I have to fill out people's checks and they sign. "History" - they forget last week. Forget science, not left to consensus, but fact. There have been those morons who take a cat or dog and make it vegan then wonder why it almost if not actually died. But if the world was not full of dim people there would be less jobs "helping" solve their problems.

In this country 'of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations,' Critical Thinking is counter-productive to 'compliant workers.' Hence, it is discouraged.

Democracy becomes more dysfunctional as the majority becomes 'dummied down' and citizens increasingly misinformed. What is needed is intentionally ignored and it becomes more out-of-mind by the neediest. Rational Ignorance prevails.

Democracy fails when the majority is incorrect and as its priorities become perverted due to avarice and addiction. Consumerism and Convenience are its mantra, seemingly. (More like a death chant).
Lack of respect for opposing viewpoints leads to what media are now calling "The Age of Contempt."

Internet addiciton is but one of the many symptoms of a failing society.

-- my morning rant!​

In this country 'of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations,' Critical Thinking is counter-productive to 'compliant workers.' Hence, it is discouraged.

Democracy becomes more dysfunctional as the majority becomes 'dummied down' and citizens increasingly misinformed. What is needed is intentionally ignored and it becomes more out-of-mind by the neediest. Rational Ignorance prevails.

Democracy fails when the majority is incorrect and as its priorities become perverted due to avarice and addiction. Consumerism and Convenience are its mantra, seemingly. (More like a death chant).
Lack of respect for opposing viewpoints leads to what media are now calling "The Age of Contempt."

Internet addiciton is but one of the many symptoms of a failing society.

-- my morning rant!​
I think we can all agree that people are stupid and crazy now adays, part of the reason we use linux is to have more of a creative and cheaper approach to computing...but we have been getting off topic, unfortunately KGIII turned this thread towards the direction of politics, and i'm going to attempt to steer it back so people can talk about how they use the internet and ways they've made it healthier for themselves...

I used to use Facebook but it's designed to be addictive and when i use it i always end up offending somebody or spending too much time on it...I like forums because you can actually use them to be somewhat productive/practical...i actually had myself banned from the other forum I used because I was getting pissed off at the other forum users since they don't play nice about politics: it's a guilt/virtue-signaling thing for them. I'd rather get kicked off a forum before i start showing my misanthropic contempt for other people. Luckily putting a pillow on the back of my chair has helped with the back stuff.

unfortunately KGIII turned this thread towards the direction of politics

No, I turned it towards education. At least that was my intent. Y'all then made it political. Though, I suppose that was easy enough to do and I can share in some of the blame.

The two posts above mine might actually cross the line and need to be removed, but rather than remove them I'm going to push y'all back towards the education aspect. Wiz may think it crossed a line and remove some material.

But, yes... We need an informed populace to have a well-functioning society. I think we can all agree on that, without it being all that political.

Call it a catharsis, having witnessed the lessening of educational standards to the point where my grandkids are now less prepared to face the challenges in today's society than I was back when. I'll gladly symbolically puke on politicians and call it a day -- done with their dirty world as much as I can be. Amen.

Lacking in most any media today are insightful voices that remind us of common values we cherish and alerting us to dangers, incipient or more readily apparent, to inalienable human rights that apply to everyone, not just selected sectors of a culture or society and/or special interest groups with or without political clout.
Alas, given the contempt educated or otherwise qualified individuals are subject to by the hoi polloi, I seriously doubt they would be given the respect deserved. Who, for example, of those under 40 years know of Bertrand Russell and other social commentators held in high regard in their day? You get your views from Facebook and other social media, you say?

No comment.

But, yes... We need an informed populace to have a well-functioning society. I think we can all agree on that, without it being all that political.
Okay, i'll bite.

Education is not good enough for encouraging healthy internet usage.

Civics is by itself a political matter, and kids will fall asleep in civics classes just like in every other instance someone tries to force them to be a well rounded human.

I'm personally fine with this thread being closed down, as my main purpose for using this forum is to learn about computers. I respect your internet addiction, but unfortunately this thread is now a trap because it's going all over the place. This is my last post in this thread because i do like computers and talking about them.

Education is not good enough for encouraging healthy internet usage.

Definitely not.

Then again, it's a pretty major change for society to deal with. We've never had anything like the computer age before. There have been previous leaps in tech, but access to that tech was limited to those in certain financial classes. Today, in all but a few places, people run around with effectively a supercomputer in their pocket with near-immediate access to all the world's knowledge.

We, of course, use it for penis and cat pics...

I think the human brain isn't fully adapted to this sort of thing. We still have the part of the brain we had when we were lizards and our lizard brain likes stimuli. We're gonna be a while adapting to this.

I used to say that I'd be first in line for testing when they hooked the brain up directly to the internet - that I didn't even mind an antenna poking out of my head. I had much higher hopes for the 'net back then.

One might just say that our education system simply isn't working well.

At the same time, school might not be the best place to learn healthy internet usage. Maybe that should be learned at home?

I
@CrazedNerd -- yeh, I fell asleep in Civics class. But having to make a C or do it over was incentive enough for the basics to sink in.

@KGIII -- 'I think the human brain isn't fully adapted to this sort of thing. We still have the part of the brain we had when we were lizards and our lizard brain likes stimuli. We're gonna be a while adapting to this.'

+1

Cannot agree on best place to learn the net is at home. No way, in some cases! In a church basement with a priest giving lessons ? :D just kidding!

Members online

Latest posts