Have DELL got it wrong choosing NVIDIA..?

What's left from there which ain't much is tossed into the ridge along the river with the busted up rock and concrete the highway dept dumps there helps keep the ridge from washing away.
I'm pretty sure that's littering. Pretty sure...

Nope it's on my property and I have checked with the city and rural and state management authorities.

The property owner has to call file and sign a complaint and since I'm the owner of the farm and surrounding land that won't happen.

The state highway dept dumps several tons of concrete with rebar there to help keep the water from eroding the land.

Eventually and already in the works the state will put in retaining walls to prevent further land erosion.

Nope it's on my property and I have checked with the city and rural and state management authorities.

I dunno if I can really agree with that mentality, but it is your property for now. So, you get to do what you wanna do with it I suppose.

[...]
I scrap out what I can reuse in my Frankenstein computers and what's left becomes targets for the 357 magnum.

What's left from there which ain't much is tossed into the ridge along the river with the busted up rock and concrete the highway dept dumps there helps keep the ridge from washing away.
Shooting up a computer into small bits would scatter hazardous waste from the circuit cards and batteries. Lead, other heavy metals, and other toxins will leach from the broken bits into the soil and river as toxic waste.

With a river flowing at the site, state and federal laws and regulations for hazardous and toxic waste disposal probably apply.

Just because you are unlikely to be caught does not make it legal, ethical, or smart.

i7-6820HQ
Is a good processor for general use and light gaming
the i7-12850HX is aimed at the gaming community, unless you're a Heavey gamer then it is an expensive overkill
Nvidia doesn't usually worry me drivers can usually be found and installed relatively easy

I have noticed the "going price" for the nVidia RTX4090 is $2100.00-$2700.00 US. That's about what I paid for my whole computer.

"Going price" for the Radeon 7900 is about $1000.00 cheaper. $1500.00-$1700.00

The 4090 is as much 7% faster than the Radeon in several benchmarks. But is 7% worth another $1000.00 ?

I myself, personally I would be willing to save the $1000.00 and go with a slightly slower card.
I doubt any of us would really notice a 7% difference. But at least we would have bragging rights for a short while.

I have noticed the "going price" for the nVidia RTX4090 is $2100.00-$2700.00 US. That's about what I paid for my whole computer.

"Going price" for the Radeon 7900 is about $1000.00 cheaper. $1500.00-$1700.00

The 4090 is as much 7% faster than the Radeon in several benchmarks. But is 7% worth another $1000.00 ?

I myself, personally I would be willing to save the $1000.00 and go with a slightly slower card.
I doubt any of us would really notice a 7% difference. But at least we would have bragging rights for a short while.
The main reason I still use old computers because the manufacturers and the retailers are a bunch of licensed crooks.

The thing about older PCs is that you're not really saving the environment by running them.

They're much less efficient than modern computers, so you're using more energy. In like a year of use, you'll have used enough additional energy to have been able to afford a refurbished unit that's far more efficient.

But, none of the computers I saw listed in this thread are really old enough to make that claim. While they're still less efficient, it's not so drastic as it would be if you were using something like a P4.

I mention this only 'cause some folks seem to think that keeping old stuff around is better for the environment. In many cases it is, but there are instances where that's not true. A great example is your water heater or even your washing machine (modern machines use a lot less water and electricity, for example). Old computers should be properly recycled. There's some good stuff in there, but you gotta find someone that really recycles and doesn't just ship it off to a third world country.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
IMHO and with respect, you are completely wrong - perhaps start a new Topic

IMHO and with respect, you are completely wrong - perhaps start a new Topic

Okay Bart my friend; :) you have come up with another Mission Impossible for me :cool: Thanks a bunch – you know how much I love a challenge – even in outer space. :eek:

Took a huge security risk by going near Goolag Earth :eek: – then dived in to accept your Mission Impossible challenge. No Problemo – Asta La Vista Baby :cool:

Of course Goolag Earth problems have nothing to do with NVIDIA nouveau mesa but perhaps your distro setup

Now All; can we get back on topic..? ;) Have DELL got it wrong choosing NVIDIA..?
Goolag Earth.png

I know better than Dell because…..

Okay some of my Nvidia cards can run Google Earth using the nouveau driver and some of my Nvidia cards need the Nvidia proprietary driver.

The Intel graphics on this box runs Google Earth not problems.
Code:
sparkylinux@sparkylinux:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.10.0-19-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: LXQt 0.16.1
           Distro: SparkyLinux 6.5 (Po-Tolo) base: Debian bullseye/sid
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: <filter> BIOS: Dell v: A02 date: 08/27/2010
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Penryn rev: A
           L2 cache: 3 MiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11704
           Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/2933 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:02.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
           resolution: 1024x768~75Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 (ELK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Dell
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-19-amd64                                                
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe vendor: Dell driver: tg3    
           v: kernel port: ece0 bus ID: 02:00.0                                                  
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>                        
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 37.25 GiB used: 7.7 GiB (20.7%)                                 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD400BD-75JMA0 size: 37.25 GiB          
Partition: ID-1: / size: 36.37 GiB used: 7.7 GiB (21.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1                 
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 512 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile              
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A                                            
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A                                                                 
Info:      Processes: 144 Uptime: 7h 09m Memory: 3.74 GiB used: 1.01 GiB (27.1%) Init: systemd   
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Packages: 1798 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.01   
sparkylinux@sparkylinux:~$

Code:
sparkylinux@sparkylinux:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel                   
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa   
           resolution: 1024x768~75Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 (ELK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.5
sparkylinux@sparkylinux:~$

Google Earth is my test for the opensource driver to see if it works and how well it works.

Nvidia graphics cards aren't bad and I can use mine with Windows 10 without problems.
I'm just saying it would be cool if the newer Linux kernels supported the Nvidia 340.108 proprietary graphics driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny the OP should mention it, just today I experienced my first problem with nvidia graphics driver with linux in like... ever. It would seem that with the version 525 of the driver, the card isn't able to properly initialize the graphics on a Mono-based app I tried to run.

I just rolled back to 515. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. It would as about exciting as watching flies during their mating rituals. So I see no fault with nvidia in the age range you are talking about.

But at present however, they are lying, money groping [redacted] that tried to pull the same stunt like they did with the 2000 series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one of the spare parts computers the Nvidia 340.108 proprietary graphics driver I need is no longer supported by a newer Linux kernel.
Code:
mx@mx:~
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Kernel: 5.10.0-19-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0
           Distro: MX-21.2.1_x64 Wildflower September 18  2022 base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GN556AA-ABA a6200n v: N/A serial: <filter>
           Mobo: ECS model: Nettle2 v: 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.12 date: 06/11/2007
CPU:       Info: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 3 cache:
           L2: 2 MiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 11252
           Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau v: kernel
           bus-ID: 02:00.0
           resolution: 1024x768
           OpenGL: renderer: NVA8 v: 3.3 Mesa 20.3.5 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel
           v: kernel bus-ID: 00:05.0
           Device-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus-ID: 02:00.1
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.0-19-amd64 running: yes
           Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: yes
Network:   Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard type: network bridge driver: forcedeth
           v: kernel port: ec00 bus-ID: 00:07.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 76.69 GiB used: 22.93 GiB (29.9%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDS721680PLAT80 size: 76.69 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 71.12 GiB used: 22.93 GiB (32.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 3.87 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 47.0 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 21m Memory: 7.77 GiB used: 1.33 GiB (17.2%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5
           Compilers: gcc: N/A Packages: 1915 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.4 inxi: 3.3.06

Code:
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] driver: nouveau v: kernel
           resolution: 1024x768
           OpenGL: renderer: NVA8 v: 3.3 Mesa 20.3.5
$

Windows 10 still supports the 340.108 Nvidia graphics driver.
The nouveau graphics driver works okay won't run Google Earth. :mad:

Nvidia and Linux seems to be a curse when ya have older hardware.

Hey Guys use whatever graphics driver you like - that is not the topic here
Start your own Topic on drivers if needed..... ;)

My (22 years of) experience with Dell NVIDIA never had to rely on the cheesy tactics of the gaming industry who allegedly resort to misleading the public – Hey Guys – Me and You. I never bought into that jive anyways…

Many game companies enhance promotional material to fake certain features the product doesn't have yet. Examples are:

Recording gameplay videos on extremely high graphic settings even the best systems can only render as a slideshow, and then fake a fluent framerate by running the game engine in slow-motion and speeding up the finished video.:mad:

Digitally enhancing screenshots and videos to add graphic effects the graphic engine doesn't do yet.:mad:

Pre-scripting and staging gameplay events.:mad:

Or as Nintendo's spokesperson said. "You shouldn't assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage and further specifics on first-party games will be provided later." :mad:

Since about 2000: With Dell Nvidia just plug in SolidWorks 3D CAD and get into photorealistic rendering for real – and impress your potential clients with a stunning presentation including in app high quality videos of exploding and collapsing animations, real-view graphics of materials, fly past and of course full documentation. :cool:

Here is a simple screenshot with real-view graphics of gold and silver metals above a graduated dark background with control over ambient and six studio spotlights – no need for photorealistic rendering IMHO. Could make a fly past video of these component parts exploding along defined paths and then collapsing to original position :)

No wonder Dell include NVIDIA as one of their partners..?
Endeavour Logo 10A.JPG
Endeavour Logo 10.JPG

Members online