Have you ever thought to give up your smartphone? Have you done that already?

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
I had a phone that could be considered ''smart'' back in 2007, I wasn't happy with the battery life so when it broke down I got myself a dumb phone, it was the time when the smartphones was taking off 2011- 2013. I missed the flight since, I still have that dumb phone, it still working and I even got a new one of the same recently. I cannot see how a smartphone will improve my life, unless it become mandatory I don't think I will ever get one.

Last edited:

I'm a bit odd...

I don't care if my phone rings. Much of the time, the volume is off. I even leave home without my phone.

But, I'd not change to a dumb phone. It's a great pacifier while waiting for someone/something like the missus.

It gives me limited connectivity when needed - and sometimes my connection is pretty spotty with a satellite based internet.

I'd never give it up for a dumb phone - but I had a cell phone really early in live and spent decades being a slave to the phone. I had to answer it, as a business owner. I had no other option but to answer it and deal with whatever was on the other end.

So, I leave without my phone fairly often.

But, I'll never give up the features it does offer when I'm mobile and carrying it.

I've never purchased a smartphone but have played with a few owned by others. They all failed to impress so probably not missing much. I like the sights and sounds of the environment when out and about so happy to defer internet usage until I boot up a PC or laptop at home which I can usually find without satellite navigation. Not having one also reduces the risk of walking into lampposts or being run over by that bus.

I've avoided signing up to mainstream social media sites so a cheap flip phone with a 'good enough' snapshot camera and Bluetooth is fine for me.

Old age got me, reflex and eyesight are down. I need the navigation apps.
To survive driving in Montreal (I don't drive much), you need Waze. The traffic jam (due to road repair) is perpetual. :(

Almost gave up mine. I have a android device, it is debloated by myself. So, most of google services, preinstalled Facebook app, preinstalled Microsoft apps, vendor specific spyware apps are removed. Still couldn't find a better alternative for Google maps though, so I still use it from time to time.
Other than that, I rarely use my phone. It took me a while to see the damage smartphones have done to the young people.
Constantly looking at the screen, never missing any stupid trends, consumer mindset.
If someone steal my smartphone or if it breaks, I don't think that I would miss it much.
You can see me using a chunky thinkpad outside when I want to look something up on the internet while others taking snapchat selfies.
Dumb phones are not dumb, they are what mobile phones should be.
The only smartphone I would love to try is, Pinephone. Still saving up:)

Smartphones are a necessity these days for many reasons but I'm not addicted as it's turned off when home.
m0110.gif

I have an Android phone as I would never buy a Crapple (apple) phone if my life depended on it as they suck big time for many reasons...don't get me started. :mad:

Smartphones are a necessity these days for many reasons but I'm not addicted as it's turned off when home.
m0110.gif

I have an Android phone as I would never buy a Crapple (apple) phone if my life depended on it as they suck big time for many reasons...don't get me started. :mad:
I love how they introduce a new phone every year with same specifications and fanbois lose their minds .
The only reason to buy an iphone is apple provide updates even after 4 years for their devices while Android vendors stop updates after 2 or 4 years after the release dates.
But same as you, I would never buy an Apple device because it is about good and bad n the world.....................

Smartphones are convenient and I never leave home without it.

They're handy for locating places and looking up stuff when you're out and about.

Get a Tracfone smartphone you get 1500 minutes and 1500 texts and 1500 MBs of data for $100.00 a year what's to complain about.

Yes, many times. The main reason - I can't stand Google's (and Xiaomi's) digital dictatorship where I have zero choice what to happen on my own phone and I'm as equally limited as I was with the dumb Windows. So I'm considering either buying a Pinephone or reverting back to the old GSM devices with keyboard where Android doesn't exist.

Members online