Having issues installing

Z

zenryoku

Hi all,

I'd really like to install Linux on my system, which is currently running Windows 7. I have a separate hard drive that I'd like to use to install Linux.

To date, I've tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Mint 13 Cinnamon, Mint 14.1 Cinnamon and Mageia 2. With Ubuntu and Mint, I don't make it past the installer. The cursor moves very slow and the whole system eventually grinds to a halt. With Mageia, I get the following error during initial boot after a seemingly successful install:

"Failed to start Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit [FAILED]
See 'systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait.service' for details."

I've even tried installing Ubuntu and Mint as a Windows program and that doesn't work either.

I've managed to install Ubuntu before on older systems, but my current one doesn't seem to like Linux much. It's a fairly current system with an Intel i5-2500K, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 video card and a Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please bear in mind that while my hardware and Windows knowledge are pretty good, I know very little about Linux. I want to install it so I can learn! :)

Members online

Latest posts