Having Trouble Installing Java in Wine

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
Which is the most effective way to install Java in the Wine Application? I tried through the Terminal & the installer itself & it kept saying "It ran into a serious error & needs to close". How do I get it installed?

Which is the most effective way to install Java in the Wine Application? I tried through the Terminal & the installer itself & it kept saying "It ran into a serious error & needs to close". How do I get it installed?

Some applications simply do not run under wine. Java is one of them.
But since Java is a portable language. Why not just run your application in native Linux?

Wine is a hit and miss affair, a lot of software just wont install and run.
sad0013.gif

Some software will install but wont work very well...even installing wine is not without trouble. If you cant get a Linux alternative, the best thing to do is install it in a windwoes Virtual Machine as I do.
happy0034.gif

If you have a .jar file and need it to run first check to see which version of Java is required - some jar files are java version specific - you can install OpenJDK in Linux and your jar file will run - Wine is not required in this case
If you are wanting to install a Windows app that requires Java to run then I would do as @sam444 suggests

Some applications simply do not run under wine. Java is one of them.
But since Java is a portable language. Why not just run your application in native Linux?
Java is a portable language, but the programmers need to care about some best practices.

And more importantly, if the program uses Java Native Interfaces (JNI) to use any native library, for it to be multiplatform the developers need to make it to work with libraries that may be quite different / not an exact match from Windows to Linux. Or simply nonexistent in either.

Staff online