Hello All. .Old Guy

Scott Cooley

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I have been in the adventure Telecommunications systems for over 20+ years. Always had some sorta Linux computer to play with...everyone used windows so had to escape the bull Crap. Anyways. What and where is the best eduation of the Linux world that I can understand USA English, other places I can't understand what they are saying..Cost me $1400. So please let a old guy understand..

Hello Scott Cooley welcome to the forum.

I'm a new Linux user and the best way I'm learning is by using my Linux and looking things up and asking questions here and there.

The most helpful for me learning Linux is looking over the forums here and also the forum for the Linux distro I'm using.

I've learned a lot about using the terminal just from the different forum threads about topics I have an interest in.

I've installed Xubuntu and learned how to remove Snapd and to put a hold on Snapd from installing on my computer.

I've learned I can install software using the terminal and have.

Take a stroll through the forum and you will find stuff you want and need to know.

Yeah I'm still new to Linux but I know more about Linux now than I did a week or two ago.

Just my 2 bits worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
So please let a old guy understand.

Old guy, shmold guy - we have Members here, active, from 60 through to 87, so you're just a young 'un.

G'day Scott and welcome to linux.org :) from DownUnder

You will meet more than a few of The Gang here, but best to start a Thread in General Linux, asking about learning resources.

There, tell us a bit more about what Linux Distros you have experienced so far, and what are the specs for the computer or other medium you might be using.

As you get to know some of the brains trust we have here, if you don't mind the extra notifications in your alerts or email, you could follow a few of them - I see you have already picked me, hope you don't live to regret that, LOL.

Some of the gurus here make me feel like these guys.

SdI9IoV.jpg

Saturday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Howdy Old Guy, from another Really Old Guy. I will reach 87 in three weeks - provided I live that long.
Try to slow down a bit and enjoy your Linux trip, as that is what it will be - a trip.
Linux does make it worth while getting out of bed in the morning. Keeps the old blood circulating. {Golf does too in the summer!!!} LOL.
I almost forgot --- Welcome to the Linux forum.
Old Geezer
CC

G'day Charlie - long time between drinks :)

G'day Charlie - long time between drinks :)
It certainly has been. But now ----- the golf season is history and it's time to get back to the work of studying C programming, scripts and trying to write a book about my experiences in the world of Linux. We'll see just how all that shakes out by the time next spring arrives along with GOLF!!!!
BTW I was lucky again this year and got my fourth Hole-In-One. I guess one is never too old.
OG
CC :)

What and where is the best eduation of the Linux world that I can understand USA English, other places I can't understand what they are saying..Cost me $1400.

It's not very clear. Are you looking to spend $1400 on Linux education, or you spent $1400 to understand Linux? 'Cause you can learn for free - and/or buy a few books and get a really, really solid education for far less than that.

Also, I'd say the majority of us are pretty old. Even the younger folks act mostly like old people.

We are not a very exciting group of people.

IX0LgkU.gif

welcome...@charlie.corder
at last someone who makes me feel young
byogaKyrMXiEvbG0tMxz.gif
GuksxMydCVPtOBFhKrhX.gif

That's exactly why I do NOT get up on ladders anymore.

A few years ago, I was a passenger in a pretty spectacular automobile wreck. Among my broken items, and the worst of them, was a broken femur. It was right up at the top, diagonal across the widest part - where it turns into the ball. That was a couple of years worth of recovery and the physical therapy is pretty rough to go through.

So, yeah... Don't break a hip!

Of all the weirdest repercussions, I can never jump again. I can't jump off the tailgate, out of the tractor, or off the bottom stairs.

Old guy, shmold guy - we have Members here, active, from 60 through to 87, so you're just a young 'un.

G'day Scott and welcome to linux.org :) from DownUnder

You will meet more than a few of The Gang here, but best to start a Thread in General Linux, asking about learning resources.

There, tell us a bit more about what Linux Distros you have experienced so far, and what are the specs for the computer or other medium you might be using.

As you get to know some of the brains trust we have here, if you don't mind the extra notifications in your alerts or email, you could follow a few of them - I see you have already picked me, hope you don't live to regret that, LOL.

Some of the gurus here make me feel like these guys.

SdI9IoV.jpg

Saturday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend
Thanks for your reply. I have a windows server, Ubuntu server. Windows laptop and my IPad and the little iPhone computer..lol
My hobby just playing with Linux. So after 20 years in the World, I want to change. Be a Remote Server Administrator. This month my Tower Climbing & Rescue card expired and will never climb again… unless they pay me 100k a year…
I was looking at Linux.org and they have a cool 6 month Self learning with video and all docs to learn for $950. Or they have a 4 day training for $2300. Thought about studying for a few months then take the 4 day training to get certified..Any Ideas are Welcome!

B8FB49E4-7F13-407A-AA5E-D76B2615D5B3.jpeg