Hello everyone

another_edgar

Reaction score
Credits
I'm Edgar, from Mexico.

This is my first time in this forum. I was usually looking for answers in Stack Overflow and its alias for servers, I thought it was the only way to get advice until I found this forum today. For now, I feel unable to share advice, I will mostly take the energy from the members over here, I'm sorry about that. But as soon as I gain some better experience in my servers, I'll share some good advice, be sure about that.

I have a few VPS servers running CentOS 7, they're serving my web apps to the public. I'm still far from being sure that what I'm doing is the right thing, but I've tried to follow the rules by the book. I have managed to solve all of my issues on my own, but I think I've been lucky so far. I hope nothing breaks, but if it does, I hope you guys guide me, as I will definitely have questions in the future.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the likely bad titles. Have a nice day everyone..:)

Welcome to the forums Edgar! What Linux distribution do you use on your desktop?

G'day Edgar, Welcome to Linux.org

There are numerous members here with server experience......I am sure they will be only too pleased to guide you.

I'm Edgar, from Mexico.

This is my first time in this forum. I was usually looking for answers in Stack Overflow and its alias for servers, I thought it was the only way to get advice until I found this forum today. For now, I feel unable to share advice, I will mostly take the energy from the members over here, I'm sorry about that. But as soon as I gain some better experience in my servers, I'll share some good advice, be sure about that.

I have a few VPS servers running CentOS 7, they're serving my web apps to the public. I'm still far from being sure that what I'm doing is the right thing, but I've tried to follow the rules by the book. I have managed to solve all of my issues on my own, but I think I've been lucky so far. I hope nothing breaks, but if it does, I hope you guys guide me, as I will definitely have questions in the future.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the likely bad titles. Have a nice day everyone..:)
Cool, can we see your website?

Welcome aboard!

I'm in the US, but I've spent a ton of time south of the border.

What Linux distribution do you use on your desktop
I don't have Linux on my desktop at the moment, only my vps servers do. Long ago, I had a CD from which I'd run Ubuntu and find my neighbors' wifi WEP passwords, I abandoned that ship when I got a job, but I remember memorizing a lot of commands for some security framework with a spider as logo. All of that is gone now, but Linux is still in my plans, which is why I'm here.

Welcome to the forums
In case you are unaware, CentOS stream 8 and CentOS Linux 7 come to the end of life in 2024 CentOS Linux 8 is already dead. See... https://forums.centos.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80093
I had no idea! it seems I came here just in time. Thanks for letting me know. I'll read the details, I have a CyberPanel helping me discern what to do, I hope I can keep it somehow.

Cool, can we see your website?
I'd rather not show my ( 2 ) poor excuses of web applications yet. I need to learn a ton more! But thank you for the interest. You see, I still haven't found out how to make my SSL persist. That's one of those things I need to make a thread about some time. They're written in React and making requests to NodeJS servers running in different ports, but I still haven't used the right ports either. Maybe I exaggerated when I said I did things by the book as I still have a few issues to resolve. Like that pesky time zone problem. I'll make some threads about them.

I'm in the US, but I've spent a ton of time south of the border.
I hope your experience was pleasing there. This country is big, the closest I've been to the border is Cabos, and it was super hot, so you know that part better than me, definitely.

Welcome!
Good intro!
Thank you, also @wendy-lebaron , @JasKinasis , @camtaf , @Condobloke , @kc1di

What a warm welcome, everyone. I hope I don't cause too much trouble.

I am in California, so we visit Mexico fairly often. I was an exchange student and lived with a family in Mexico City when I was young. Some people in the US see only bad news about Mexico and the border, but Mexico is a country with many warm and friendly people, a long and rich history, a vibrant culture and wonderful, unique foods that are popular throughout the world.

-> Did you know that children in Australia enjoy burritos?
-> My grandson Samuel, aged 5 says "Sharing is caring, or you don't get a burrito on Friday nights."

Where did I find that? @wizardfromoz wrote that in a post. On Linux.org ... of course. :)

Welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

the closest I've been to the border is Cabos

I'd rather visit the interior than I would the border regions. On this forum, politics is strictly off limits, so we won't have that discussion here but, yes, I haven't spent much time in the border cities for quite a few years now.

I do love Mexico City. It's HUGE! If you hunt around, you can find some really old history still visibly contrasting with the city itself. Skip all the touristy stuff and go find a bar. Then enjoy the atmosphere and ask the locals for interesting things to do.

I'm fairly fluent in Spanish - but this is an English-only site. Also, I'm only vocally fluent. I can read it fairly well in context, but I sure as heck can't spell in Spanish. I can barely spell in English!

Where did I find that? @wizardfromoz wrote that in a post. On Linux.org ... of course. :)

Guilty as charged - my grandson Samuel is 7 now, where did the time go?

Welcome Edgar, we look forward to hearing from you.

If you click the Forums tab above you will find the Server categories for questions, and above that in General - Distribution-specific you will find RPM and Derivatives.

Enjoy

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz (Australia)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts