Hello from the Bartman

• Thread starter Deleted member 137406
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137406

Hello Linux.org.,

My first experience with Linux started in 2014 with Zorin OS9 I ordered from a place called OSDisc.

No reason for trying out Linux other than curiosity as I was perfectly happy with using Windows Vista which everyone seemed to dislike but me.

We had an old Windows XP desktop in the closet which wasn't being used and I figured it was a good candidate for giving Linux a try which worked out well.

I've tried many distros over the years and found several I like that run well on my old desktops although for now just run MX 21 and Peppermint OS.

Hopefully I can get the Wife to move away from Windows however uncertain how to go about that obstacle.

I already gave you a welcome, but you can have another. Vista was the last Windows I used. It was a solid OS and I have no complaints. I'd say if the missus likes Windows they should keep using it, but marital advice is better suited from someone other than me! :D

Welcome!

@kc1di Thanks for the welcome.
Yes the latest Peppermint OS is nice looking.

@KGIII I agree the Wife should continue with Windows !0 but when Windows 10 reaches EOL Windows 11 will require a new computer.

It's best to not PO the Wife and I do have some time before Windows 10 reaches EOL to ponder on this.

G'day @Bartman from DownUnder and welcome to linux.org :)

We share a little history with Linux. I had my epiphany with blowing away Windows 7 in 2014, and within 3 days I was running Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint 17.0 and Zorin OS9.

That is the least number of Distros I have run since (66 currently, including MX and Peppermint).

Enjoy your Linux travels with us.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@Leonardo_B Thanks for the welcome.

@wizardfromoz Thanks for the welcome.

Wow 66 Linux distros quite a stable to keep maintained.

I tried Ubuntu 14.04 and I liked it however it was resource demanding.

Welcome to the forums from the Uk

Welcome (again!).

My Wife got so fed up of Windows 10 being sluggish and forever updating that I wiped her laptop and installed Xubuntu for her. She's now happily speeding along and wished she'd ditched Windows long ago. She's not techy but is very happy with Xubuntu for surfing the net, loading photo's from the digital camera's SD card etc.

@Brickwizard Thanks for the welcome.

@dm999 My Wife loves her Windows.
I'm hoping she will make the move to Linux.
Don't want to buy a new computer for Windows 11.

Welcome, @Bartman ! I made use of OSDisc, too, several times over the years. I don't see it, any more.

Continue to enjoy the Linux expereince!

@forester Thanks for the welcome,

Unfortunately OSDisc closed down.
Don't find a whole lot about OSDisc's closing.

It's best to not PO the Wife and I do have some time before Windows 10 reaches EOL to ponder on this.

The missus is a happy Lubuntu user. She can install it herself, restore from mistakes with a live USB, and has even tried different distros. She's much younger than I am and grew up in the computer age, so she adapted rapidly.

She didn't have her own computer when we first hooked up. So, she had to use mine. Mine were all Linux, and mostly Lubuntu.

The Wife does what she wants and gets what she wants so I can see a new Windows 11 computer in the future.

My Wife is pretty computer savvy so I know Linux wouldn't be an issue she just likes her Windows and that cool.

Happy Wife happy life been married 50 years so I ain't going to start creating waves this late in the game.

Congrats! That's quite the feat right there.

I'm old and retired, and was divorced for many years. A few years ago back I happened to meet someone who interested me - even though we have a huge age difference. A year or so later we were married. I retired fairly young and by the time we met each other I was done sowing my wild oats - which I did for far more years than most do.

So far, so good... So far, it's pretty idyllic. I can't think of anything to complain about, so that's good.

There's a previous wife, from decades earlier. She gave me two great children and a divorce. I bought a new Dodge Viper and prepared for my midlife crisis. Alas, just about 18 months later, my children would tell the judge they wanted to live with me at the same hearing my ex wife missed 'cause she was in jail for a DUI.

Which is how I ended up with custody of both kids.

Which is also how I lost my Viper. You can't legally cram two kids inside, so I was a Volvo man for a while.

Thanks have family who been married 75 years on both sides and lived to be almost 100 years old.

That's awesome. Though I don't think I'll live to be 100... In fact, I sure as heck don't want to live to be that old.

Let's just say that I've been particularly unkind to my body. I've crammed in enough 'living' for 10 people. On any given day, I'm not entirely sure which bits of my body are going to ache. I was doing 'not too bad' until I was a passenger in a pretty spectacular car wreck a few years back. I got all screwed up, with the most serious issue being a broken femur.

The idea of living another 35 years is pretty daunting. As it is, I'll still sometimes use a wheelchair if I'm having a bad day. LOL Yeah, another 35 years just seems way more than I signed up for. It's okay. I'm sure something will kill me before then. Of course, I thought the same all sorts of times. Maybe I'm immortal!?!

OH Yeah I hear you as much as I think it would be neat to live to be 100 years old my body at 70 years old already feels 100 years old.

Arthritis and carpal tunnel and nephropathy in my hands.
Have had back surgery and one full hip replacement and probaly need the other hip replaced.
I'm wore out now how am I going to be at 100 years old.

With all my aches and pains and health problems life is alright.
I'm just going to enjoy it as best as I can until the Lord calls me in.

married 50 years
I'm not far behind you, I have been married to the Pendle Witch for 48 years, [she is a lifelong technophobe and dos'nt even know how to turn a computer on]
Healthwise, I seem to be fairing reasonably well, after several injuries to the back and shoulders over the years I can sympathise with the constant aches and pains, but apart from that at the moment I am still fully OEM. And everything is working as it should, I have a minor irritation, in that mu CPU still thinks it's 35, but the chassis cant take the strain any longer,

I'm not far behind you, I have been married to the Pendle Witch for 48 years,
It's good to know that others around the globe carry on the tradition.

[she is a lifelong technophobe and dos'nt even know how to turn a computer on]
It's suprising how many there are that can't do that and several of them are in my family.

Healthwise, I seem to be fairing reasonably well, after several injuries to the back and shoulders over the years I can sympathise with the constant aches and pains, but apart from that at the moment I am still fully OEM. And everything is working as it should, I have a minor irritation, in that mu CPU still thinks it's 35, but the chassis cant take the strain any longer,
That's good that you're still OEM and everything is working as it should wished I was.

Yeah I can relate to that CPU still thinks it's 35 but the chassis can't take the strain any longer.

I was a lineman for the power company and all them years of climbing power poles sure takes a toll on the hip joints.

Things could always be worse and thank goodness for ibuprofen and naproxen either of them twice a day provides relief to enjoy my day.

The joys of old age. :D

Members online