Hello

rrussell.john

Reaction score
Credits
I guess I would be classified as a Windows regugee. Saw that term after logging in here and found it appropriate.
Been running Ubuntu for several years and always accept upgrades when they are offered. The upgrades give far fewer that the Windows upgrades did.

I need to learn more about Linux and thought the tutorials offered here would be helpful.

Welcome, there is lots of information available to you both here and on linux-tips.us, reading other people's problem post can also be very educational.

This is indeed a good place to learn more about Linux. Even just looking around to read the posts will help you learn, kinda by osmosis.

Hello @rrussell.john,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forums. Good to have you here. Learning never ends in Linux and all I can say is ask questions and listen to answers. Then enjoy the journey.

@rrussell.john -- welcome!
"I need to learn more about Linux and thought the tutorials offered here would be helpful."
Good choice!

G'day @rrussell.john and welcome aboard the good ship linux.org - we hope you will enjoy your cruise :)

As well as the tutorials, at third from top in General Linux is pinned a Thread "Linux Learning Resources". It contains a number of gems, some of which you may find useful.

Any questions on command line or scripting you can place in Command Line, where we have a wonderful fellow name of @JasKinasis who shuffles up and down the corridors, rattling his chains.

Kick back and enjoy the ride.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome to the Forum.
happy0005.gif

I started looking at Linux when that horrible windwoes 8 came out as I was using 7 at the time. I couldn't believe the crap microsuck was pushing on people.
mad0016.gif

In 2015 I defected permanently to freedom and the wonderful world of Linux and I've never looked back...the only thing I regret is I should have sooner.
happy0034.gif

This is indeed a good place to learn more about Linux. Even just looking around to read the posts will help you learn, kinda by osmosis.
Osmosis, eh? Is that when you put your high school algebra book under your pillow at night, and remember it for the test the next day? Nyuk nyuk!

Is that when you put your high school algebra book under your pillow at night, and remember it for the test the next day?

Well, I have fallen asleep on a mathematics textbook and I made it through school. So, you might be on to something!

Well, I have fallen asleep on a mathematics textbook and I made it through school. So, you might be on to something!
Yeah, my forehead has hit the keyboard a few times too, but I still type with 2 fingers. What is up with that?:p Perhaps I should build a robot to do my typing for me. Yeah! Yeah! That's the ticket!

As far as the tutorials, they are excellent! There is also a lot of useful information in the answers to posted questions, it just may take a while to go through them all. But then, getting there is half the fun, n'est pas?

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Yeah, my forehead has hit the keyboard a few times too, but I still type with 2 fingers. What is up with that?:p Perhaps I should build a robot to do my typing for me. Yeah! Yeah! That's the ticket!

Oh, I type like a demon on fire. When I do the typing tests, I'm often 90 WPM or higher.

Amusingly, that's the only course I recall failing - and I did so twice. I failed typing/keyboarding at both the high school and collegiate level. Then, IRC happened and I forced myself to learn to type by memorizing where the delete key was and refusing to look at the keyboard.

To this day, my fingers aren't actually 'correct. For example, the y key is often pressed with the left hand and only one finger ever uses the space bar. I actually wear a divot into the space bar pretty quickly. My fingers also don't hover over the home row. They kinda rest in a cluster around either side, like my right hand hovers over the letter m and at an angle.

It works! If only my keyboarding teacher could see me now!

Also, I can type while carrying on a conversation. I can be typing one thing while talking to the missus, but she finds that impersonal and I don't do that. But, it's kinda weird for people to see.

Anyhow, speech to text has come a long ways. Maybe you can try that! :D

Show off!:p

LOL I can go faster, but then it slows me down because I start making errors.

It helps when I have my nails trimmed. I play classical guitar, so my right hand often has longer nails. That can slow me down to maybe 80 wpm.

Welcome aboard - enjoy the journey.

Members online