Help - buying a budget pc for linux

Poka Mota

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am looking for a budget computer and I want to know if I can run linux mint cinnamon without any problems, here the specs:

AMD Ryzen 5600g
AMD APU Radeon Vega
Motherboard ASrock A520M-HVS

Also, will I need to enter nomodeset or will it run smoothly with the APU?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220626-115541_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220626-115541_Chrome.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 236

Drivers for the Ryzen 5 and the Vega graphics are in the current Kernel used on Ubuntu based distributions Asrock MB are not usually any problems.
If it is currently a Windows machine, you will need to disable Windows quick start in the BIOS.

I'm running similar hardware and linux mint works just fine, however, you need to get over the "any problems" thing because all operating systems, and most hardware, has them.

Awesome, thank you guys, I was concern for the integrated graphic card. Also, this is my first Ryzen pc.

I am used to run linux in intel devices and never have a problem.

I am used to run linux in intel devices and never have a problem.
All new boxes can cause problems, Manufactures of parts have little commonality so when a brand-new part is developed, it takes the boys and girls who write/back engineer the Linux drivers a few months to catch up [It's not a question of tweaking Windows drivers , they start from scratch.]

My two cents worth on this topic is: Avoid NVIDIA

I have a pre-owned Dell Optiplex with i7 that runs great, and last year I bought a used Lenovo Thinkpad with i5. Both of these will probably outlive ME. :p

My two cents worth on this topic is: Avoid NVIDIA

I have a pre-owned Dell Optiplex with i7 that runs great, and last year I bought a used Lenovo Thinkpad with i5. Both of these will probably outlive ME. :p
dell and thinkpad are good generic use non-gaming brands, both expensive but can be found at a better price than anything apple. Electronics do tend to last a very long time if you don't mess them up, and the software stays supported...

Hello,

I am looking for a budget computer and I want to know if I can run linux mint cinnamon without any problems, here the specs:

AMD Ryzen 5600g
AMD APU Radeon Vega
Motherboard ASrock A520M-HVS

Also, will I need to enter nomodeset or will it run smoothly with the APU?
Oh, and i just want to say...i got the same processor but a B550-I Rog Strix motherboard with the 5.13 kernel...i'm using Ubuntu but i had mint installed recently and decided to remove it since since i like ubuntu better...the only problem i've had across the board with Ubuntu, mint, and fedora, is sometimes during the boot to the desktop (not effected during grub) i get a splotchy screen and i have to turn the computer off. This is just fine if you're booting from an SSD, but you might want to be proactive if you have an HDD cuz that can scratch the platters. Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner, but i've been a little preoccupied for extended linux learning recently.

It may be useful to share what your budget is, what an affordable budget pc for one person may not be so for another person.

It may be useful to share what your budget is, what an affordable budget pc for one person may not be so for another person.
Hi, I live in Costa Rica, Central America, here, due to inflation and shipping costs, pc staff is more expensive than in USA or EU.

This PC build costs $450. For you to have an idea, 80% of the people in my country earn $600 or less per month.

Hi, I live in Costa Rica, Central America, here, due to inflation and shipping costs, pc staff is more expensive than in USA or EU.

This PC build costs $450. For you to have an idea, 80% of the people in my country earn $600 or less per month.
yeah i've been to costa rica and lots of other latin american countries, it's harder to shop for specialty computer parts. In Peru, everything is really cheap except for electronics basically, it pretty much costs the same as in the US and there's lots of counterfeits.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Poka Mota
do you want to use this box for gaming? if not, look for a reconditioned box around 5 yrs old with 8gb ram, for general home use that will probably last you for years.

@Poka Mota
do you want to use this box for gaming? if not, look for a reconditioned box around 5 yrs old with 8gb ram, for general home use that will probably last you for years.
I will use it for music and video production: LMMS, Inkscape, Kdenlive, GIMP, OpenToonz, and some free but not open source software like Waveform.

I will use it for music and video production:
Good job you said that, I would recommend at lest 16gb pref 32gb of fast [ddr4 or later] ram the Ryzen 5600g is a hex core processor with 12 threads and should be more than capable of coping with your needs, the P210 is a fairly fast USB III ssd, but if its a desktop you are getting then you would do better fitting a Nmve M2 drive for the OS and use the SSD for storage [but they are not cheap]

Good job you said that, I would recommend at lest 16gb pref 32gb of fast [ddr4 or later] ram the Ryzen 5600g is a hex core processor with 12 threads and should be more than capable of coping with your needs, the P210 is a fairly fast USB III ssd, but if its a desktop you are getting then you would do better fitting a Nmve M2 drive for the OS and use the SSD for storage [but they are not cheap]
Awesome, thank you very much for your help.

In Peru, everything is really cheap except for electronics basically

Except maybe phones. Though it was probably a phone stolen from the US or something - though I had no problems activating it when I got home, so the IEME must have never been registered as stolen or it wasn't stolen.

I had my phone stolen while in Lima (ca 2017) and bought a replacement for what came to like $60 USD for a current model Pixel. While it was 'new' and in a box, the box didn't match and the paperwork was for a completely different phone - which makes me think it was probably stolen and then smuggled into Peru, which is pretty common if the various news/documentaries are to be believed.

Except maybe phones. Though it was probably a phone stolen from the US or something - though I had no problems activating it when I got home, so the IEME must have never been registered as stolen or it wasn't stolen.

I had my phone stolen while in Lima (ca 2017) and bought a replacement for what came to like $60 USD for a current model Pixel. While it was 'new' and in a box, the box didn't match and the paperwork was for a completely different phone - which makes me think it was probably stolen and then smuggled into Peru, which is pretty common if the various news/documentaries are to be believed.
Peru is basically a second world country, there's lots of western influence and money but lots of poverty and lacking of basic necessities.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts